I am the snake wrangler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in a small town with one pet store and no reptile rescues within 400+ miles.
The pet store ladies won't have anything to do with snakes so when ever one is found or abandoned anywhere, I'm the one who gets the call.

Tonight I picked up a large adult ball python found under a bridge by the river. Luckily the people who found it weren't afraid, they gave him water and waited for me to show up. He's in good condition but a bit dry from the 100* F heat we've been having.
I need another snake like I need a hole in the head but I just can't say no when one needs my help. Hopefully he is a lost pet and I can find the owner but more likely, he was turned loose to fend for himself.

I generally dislike humans. The exception is people like you who go out of their way to help beings whom can't help themselves.

Thank you for having a heart! Oh, and just how many snakes do you have?

You are a great person! There is a reptile heaven waiting for you someday where you can eat all the fresh rats and lizards you want. Oh, maybe not so much... :-? How many snakes do you have right now? Is there a zoo that will take some of the "extras" off your hands? Good luck. You really are wonderful to take in one of the world's most hated creatures.

Haha, thanks ladies. I guess I made it sound like I have a bunch of snakes but I actually only have one. I have had 12 at one time before but it got increasingly difficult for me to deal with live food and buying frozen for that many was too pricey.

No zoos around here and I really don't mind keeping him if it comes to that. I love ball pythons and he is incredibly sweet, I'm just in a panic to find appropriately sized housing. Generally the balls I take in a babies, this is a large adult and the spare 20 gallon aquarium I have is a bit small. I will be picking up a plastic tote on Friday for a temporary cage.
If I had room and the $$, I would probably have a reptile rescue. I love all reptiles and creepy crawlies in general.

Are you sure it is a him? You could call him Legba or Baron, or Samedi...

If it might be a girl you can always call her Erzuli... :-D

I have no idea of gender, it not something you can tell by just looking. They have to be probed by a professional and I've not been able to find anyone local who knows how to do it. He is a pretty big snake, there is a good possibility its actually a girl.

My last ball was named damballa, if I knew this one was a girl for sure, I would call her Ayida.

Well I'm not crazy about snakes, but I don't hurt them either. This evening I saw my first rattler. He was just a baby, but coiled up near my front door was not where I wanted him to be. After watching him a while, from a few feet away we went inside and left to him to go on his way. I was amazed they have rattles even as babies, tiny ones but still noticeable.

Awwww now I want another ball...... mine was named Daisy :). Her head markings looked like a flower. Glad those people didn't just whack the stray!

For a cage, why not just go get a storage tub and drill some holes in it for now? Under $20 (assuming you have straps or something to secure the lid better) :). My dumeril's outgrew his 20 gallon so I made him a cage out of a 50 gallon tote. Spent a year looking at cages and building materials before going that route. He was nameless for a long time, but since I had a Daisy...he got named Duke. :mrgreen:

Back