I am New! Best place to buy 1/2 gallon of cocoa butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jilly06

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new and am wondering if you have any suggestions for me of the best place to buy 1/2 gallon of cocoa butter?

Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone has for me.

Hey jilly, welcome. :)

So you are looking for 3 to 5 lbs or so? Let us know where you are because sometimes proximity to the supplier means you'll get it faster and cheaper.

Soap Making Resource is a good suggestion and I buy stuff from them, but they're in PA and I'm in NY. They are on the granola side so they generally sell the less processed version of things, which might be better or worse for soap depending on your point of view.

Hey and welcome!

I am wondering why you specifically need 1/2 gallon of cocoa butter. You can order cocoa butter in many different sizes from Amazon (sold in weights), or you can buy it from soap suppliers such as Essential Depot in many sizes (sold in weights). But it is curious to me why you would need specifically 1/2 gallon.

I was wondering the same thing. I would start with a pound or to to see if you like it first. Most of the soap suppliers carry it. Essential Depot, WSP, Nature's Garden etc.

Camden Grey is another good choice. They are located in Florida, so if you are in the southeast that may be better, shipping-wise, for you.

Do you want prime pressed, which retains it's chocolaty smell, or deodorized, which has had most (if not all) of it's scent removed? Also, you have option of chunks or pastilles. Pastilles are basically little dots, about the size of a dot from a 3-hole paper punch. They are easier to measure out, but you'll pay a bit more for convenience.

Amazon or Soap Making resource.

Decide if you want it with the chocolaty smell or not. And a solid lump, chunks or pastilles. Lotsa choices.

Scented on not depends on what you want it for. cocoa butter has a LONG shelf life and is lovely in lots of things. I get a large quantity of prime pressed (not deodorized) cocoa butter and use it in most things. I get a small quantity deodorized cocoa butter specifically to use in fruity lip balms. For some reason, the chocolaty scent of the cocoa butter comes through with some flavor oils, and in one batch I had to add more flavor than I wanted to cover it up. (Sangria flavor oil from AHRE, BTW). Love the flavor but didn't like it with the chocolaty scent underneath.

I get mine in chunks. Ever so often I pull out my cutting board and sharp knife and chop up a bunch of big chunks into smaller chunks. I think 1 solid block would be too much to chop.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses. I live in Wisconsin. My husband & I have made 3 batches of goats milk soap so far. I was given the oils to start out with and have now used them up. That's why I am looking for the cocoa butter. We were looking at a quantity to make more batches so that's how I came up with 1/2 gallon. I didn't know how it was sold -- looks like it's sold more by weight. And I wasn't aware of all the choices! Wow!

Thank you again so much for your assistance. I am very happy to have found this forum :)

Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses. I live in Wisconsin. My husband & I have made 3 batches of goats milk soap so far. I was given the oils to start out with and have now used them up. That's why I am looking for the cocoa butter. We were looking at a quantity to make more batches so that's how I came up with 1/2 gallon. I didn't know how it was sold -- looks like it's sold more by weight. And I wasn't aware of all the choices! Wow!

Thank you again so much for your assistance. I am very happy to have found this forum :)

Lucky you. You happen to live close to one of the best oil suppliers.

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-so...eb_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

Back