I am about to attempt my first salt bars.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
After reading all the recent talk and listening to other's advice, I really want to see if I can do it. This is what I am about to do:

In my TOG ecomy mold (32oz. oil to make 48oz soap)
25.6 oz coconut oil
9.73 oz water
4.46 lye (5% superfat)

At trace (I assume and hope I wait until trace - seems logical) I will be adding 20.48 oz salt. It will be a mix of dead sea and epsom (mostly dead sea, I'm just not sure if I have the whole 20 oz of it)

I will cover it in saran wrap, but not put the lid on, because I don't think I want it heating up too much.

In a few hours, I will cut it and post back my results (or if you don't hear from me it's because I am fuming mad from ruining it lol)

I haven't decided if I even want to try scenting it... I'm still thinking about it. I want to, but don't think I should just because it's another factor that will distract from me pinpointing any problems.

Well, that's my plan. I'm gonna set everything up and take my time. Just before mixing, I will check the forum again to see if anybody tries to stop me from making a mistake. Otherwise - WISH ME LUCK!! :)

good luck! :) havent tried them yet but i would loooove to sooon :)

Fortunately, they are for personal use and giving to friends, because the bars did crumble and chunk apart a little. Now I am just sad that I have to wait a whole month to use them.

Woo-hoo! You are salting now!! :lol: I just made my first ones about a month ago.

Digit

Oh my gosh. I don't know if it was worth it lol. I left the mixing equipment to sit overnight like i always do, took me 5 whole minutes to scrape off the salt soap concrete mixture left on just the spautla alone (and thats after soaking it). And the crumbs I squished as hard as I could into a plastuc soap mold - just to see if I could turn them into a bar. I did that last night, and put it on the top shelf of my bakers rack, where a lot of my soap stuff is. So, I decide to make a whipped body lotion. It was coming out nice, but the scent combination was giving me a headache. So I'm whipping it in my kitchenaid (on the baker's rack) right as I was deciding whether it was even worth keeping, the mold with the broken salt fell off the shelf above me, and broke apart mid air, leaving soap/salt crumbs everywhere, including my lotion. I'm going back to clean it in a second.. I just needed to step away.

I love Paul's salt bar formula. 80% salt to weight of oils. I just use table salt and they come out perfect every time. Cut in about 2 hours with no problem.

Sonja

Back