I always feel bad when my cat catches things

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every once in a while I find something that my cat caught that is still alive and I'm like oooh nooo šŸ˜­

So todays catch is a tree frog. So now I have it in a glass with a piece of plant. He still jumps and moves around. I don't know if I should attempt to nurse it back to health or let nature take over and just put it outside. I just somehow feel responsible because my cat caught it LOL.

He otherwise seems ok, other than the leg. He is moving around the glass and was perched up on a leaf I stuck in there. One leg is definitely a wreck. I think it is never gonna work again. But he did jump with just the other leg.

Can't figure out how to post the pictures LOL

Every once in a while I find something that my cat caught that is still alive and I'm like oooh nooo šŸ˜­

So todays catch is a tree frog. So now I have it in a glass with a piece of plant. He still jumps and moves around. I don't know if I should attempt to nurse it back to health or let nature take over and just put it outside. I just somehow feel responsible because my cat caught it LOL.

He otherwise seems ok, other than the leg. He is moving around the glass and was perched up on a leaf I stuck in there. One leg is definitely a wreck. I think it is never gonna work again. But he did jump with just the other leg.

Can't figure out how to post the pictures LOL
Put it outside and let nature take itā€™s course. It may survive, or it may become a snack for a creature, maybe an owl. Until my sister in Colorado started sharing photos, I didnā€™t realize how many lizards owls eat. In fact, growing up in Colorado and the foothills, I donā€™t think I ever saw a lizard. My sister said she never sees them, but the owls find them. Putting the frog outside, he has a better chance of following a natural outcome. Maybe even surviving?

Your cat brought you a tree frog. Isn't she (he?) sweet? Kitty Baby used to bring lizards, rabbits, even a mouse's head once to granddaughter & me while we were in Texas. Since she came to live with us here, she has brought me birds, a chipmunk, rabbits, more birds, another dead mouse and even more birds. It is in their nature. She eats some and she also brings gifts. Cats are hunters by nature, and they are sharing their catch because they love us and also, I think, to re-pay us for providing warm cozy shelter, an abundance of food and affection.

It is sometimes disturbing to see what they have brought, I know, but it is their nature and it is not inherently bad. Seeing it from your cat's point of view may make it less upsetting for you (or maybe not).

I was told by the animal rescue where we took the first live rabbit she brought us, that if we put a bell on her it would help warn prey she was coming and give them a fair chance to escape. They also suggested a kind of bib we can put on cats that prevent them from catching prey. I was not willing to bib her, but I tried the noisy bling on her collar, but she has adapted and overcome. She can move as silently as if it wasn't there and catch whatever. If she wants to be quiet when she stalks prey, no noise comes from the bling. It's really quite remarkable that she has been able to figure out how to do that. In fact I admire her for her skills of silence when she wants to be silent. And it's not just my hearing impairment talking; my husband has verified that she can even run upstairs without making a sound - no clinking or clanking or metal on metal noised whatsoever.

So you could try a bell or a couple of metal tags that clink together, to forewarn prey, but be prepared for the cat's ability to adapt and still manage stealthy stalking.

So it survived the night and I put it outside.

@earlene Betty is not a quiet cat LOL. I call her turkey cat because she makes a gobble gobble noise when she runs, like she's laughing/cackling. Of all the cats I have ever had in my life (and there were lots of them), I have never heard a cat make this sound. It's not the chattering that cats normally make when they see a bird or something. She literally sounds like a turkey.

She sits outside of my bathroom door, and when I open it she goes zooming through the bedroom and down the hall...bounces sideways off of the wall. I have a video that I can post later. One time the dog happened to be in the hallway as the cat came charging out. I guess she was in the way, so Betty just bounced right off the side of Abby LOL.

Since Abby died, she has become super needy. I might get another kitten to keep her occupied. She was a kitten when I got her and I had already had a cat, who died two years ago. Then I got the dog and now SHE died. "what are you doing with all my friends?" I do eventually want another dog or puppy, which I am going to have to plan that around some time off for it.

She kills lizards all the time, I have gotten used to that. But I have a thing for frogs so it broke my heart. Hope he lives...but he probably won't without that leg.

I have another "regular" tree frog that sits in my front door window and watches tv LOL. I have a video of that too.

Darn, I might have had a place for you to take it, depending on where you live in Florida. I know a gal that raises and breeds all types of frogs, Dragons, small monitors, turtles, and geckos. She is in Gulfport, but also knows other reptile breeders/hobbyists in Florida.

It saddens me that she kills lizards all the time. They cannot eat them because lizards are toxic to cats so it is the pure joy of the hunt and something to play with. This is a bit of a problem with domestic cats that are outdoor kitties. Wild animals kill for food domestic and feral cats are hard on an indigenous population of small critters. I also realize lizards such as Giant Days are not indigenous but are not listed as pests, please be aware I am not judging, but it would be nice if you could save Lizzy from her, they are very hardy and regrow tails quickly.

Last edited:
Wild animals will kill for joy or just overkill much more then they can eat, just ask anyone who has forgot to close their chickens at night.
Cheers
gww

Darn, I might have had a place for you to take it, depending on where you live in Florida. I know a gal that raises and breeds all types of frogs, Dragons, small monitors, turtles, and geckos. She is in Gulfport, but also knows other reptile breeders/hobbyists in Florida.

It saddens me that she kills lizards all the time. They cannot eat them because lizards are toxic to cats so it is the pure joy of the hunt and something to play with. This is a bit of a problem with domestic cats that are outdoor kitties. Wild animals kill for food domestic and feral cats are hard on an indigenous population of small critters. I also realize lizards such as Giant Days are not indigenous but are not listed as pests, please be aware I am not judging, but it would be nice if you could save Lizzy from her, they are very hardy and regrow tails quickly.
She is an indoor cat. Critters just keep getting on my porch. I have saved lots of lizards. It used to gross me out, but as soon as I notice that she's after something, I get them out quickly.

Wild animals will kill for joy or just overkill much more then they can eat, just ask anyone who has forgot to close their chickens at night.
Cheers
gww
My friends chickens just got killed a few weeks ago by presumably a bob cat. Nothing left but feathers and gore. I saw it, it was a massacre. We are allowed up to 5 chickens provided that you only keep them as pets, have a fenced in yard, and an enclosure/coop. The coop was locked, the bob cat tore it to shreds to get in. She probably won't be getting any more.

I think I had 17 killed in one night and it is not something to wake up to. One little mistake while my street light was out. I have forgotten before and not been that unlucky. I used to let mine go every where but lost four during the day and saw one of them being carried off by a coyote and found the rest. They are now regulated to just my back yard. I do my best not to make many mistakes cause the aftermath can be rough. It does give me a good excuse to be home before the sun goes down.
Cheers
gww

I thought about getting chickens after I get my fence. After seeing what can happen from my friends house, I might pass. Or just make them sleep in the house at night LOL...alright girls, everybody in the laundry room

Latest posts

Back