I <3 Pizza Dough/Garlic Knot, Calzone Recipe in 1.5 hrs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for a pizza dough recipe that actually comes out tasting like actual pizza dough, has the perfect oven spring, and is adaptable to all different types of awesomeness.

aaaand I think Ive found it...

4 C Flour
2 Tsp Dry Active Yeast
3/4 Tsp salt
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 C. Water

Quick and easy, 1.5 hrs start to finish.

Add dry ingredients minus yeast to a bowl (stainless steel!), form a well in the middle of the mixture and add yeast. then add Olive oil, and water (all ingredients MUST be at room temperature for this to work well)

1:30 mins, Knead dough for 20 minutes (yes...you need to do it the full 20 minutes, its INTEGRAL for this recipe to come out right...trust me. It gives time for the gluten in the wheat to align into strings and will effect the overall quality of the dough" You may need to add a pinch or two more of flour or water. The doughball should be slightly sticky. not enough to stick to your finger and not come off, but not enough to feel "sandy" from the flour... juuust right :)

--Preheat oven to 85 degrees or lowest setting possible, and then turn off.

1:10 mins, Place dough ball in the bowl (preferably stainless steel or pyrex), and cover with either a damp cloth or tin foil so no or minimal air gets in., let rise 20 mins.

:50 mins, "punch" the dough down by gently flattening it with your hands or shaking the dough a bit... you will let it rise again, so dont worry if its flat. should take no more than 30 seconds.

--- again, preheat oven again to lowest setting 85 degrees or so.

:50 mins, Place dough back in oven, recover with whatever you were using earlier, and let rise for 50 minutes.

:00 --- FIN!!

This will make 2lbs of Pizza dough, about enough for 2 14" pizzas (Pizz) 12-14 garlic knots (I call them Galligaknots! lol Italian accent comes out..Thanks Mom) or 3 calzones (Galzones)

What I usually do is cut it in half, make half a pizza, half garlic knots or if I am going to save it I put it in a breadbag or some other plastic bag you can tie in a knot (trust me tupperwares wont work, itll rise and pop the lid off...learned that the hard way). be sure to cover the dough with about 2 Tbsp of olive oil before storing it, itll make it easier to get out and keep the dough moist.

also INTEGRAL step for making the it come out right...Regardless of application

Cook Temp: 450 F.

COOK ON A PIZZA STONE. (which has been in the oven since you started preheating it so its the same temp as the internals of the oven, and I always throw a bit of flower on the stone before hand, so the pizz doesnt stick. It also helps to have a pizza paddle. you can make the pizza on this (I use corn meal to keep it from sticking to it) and just slide it off right onto the pizza stone. I think this is essential for the way the dough turns out.. no pizza stone= tough dough.. Ive tried everything, but this is what works the best (and dont buy a pizza stone for lots of $$, go to Home Depot, and get UNGLAZED quarry tiles. theyre usually clay...make sure they are unglazed and untreated. You will want to wash these thoroughly and put them in the oven on like 500 to burn off anything that might be trapped in them before attempting to cook with them (I dont do the burnoff and cook in the same day) )

This will give your dough the right "spring" because as the yeast heats up rapidly, its metabolism speads up, producing more CO2, making the dough "spring" up, and giving you nice crust. As it gets hotter it dies off, and the highest level its risen to will be the level of your crust.

I will take some pics next time I make it :)

This dough is SO simple and easy to make and its by far the best recipe I have found in my 6 yrs of searching for one through countless trial and error efforts :) just dont overcook it... cook it til the edges are juuuuust slightly brown and it will be nice and doughy, or if you like it crunchier wait til theyre slightly more golden... if you wait til its all golden it will be a littttttle crunchy but I like that too so its alll good :)

Hope that you enjoy! let me know if you make it! and feel free to shoot any questions off as I looove to cook and always looking to help people strive to be better cooks :) (and if youve got anything to share/teach me feel free...always looking to learn too! ;) )

Thanks Ian! I'll have to try that when I can get a stone. BTW, Dh bought me a really nice pasta machine. What's your recipe for pasta? I can't wait to try it out!

Youre going to looooove this :) I actually did a thread on it a loooong time ago!!

Cookinadinna with Ian T, Home-made pasta ,episode 1

:D

I LOVE home made pasta!!! Which machine did he get you!?!? I looove pasta machines so much, seriously, you dont know what pasta tastes like until youve had home made...the storebought is like eating cardboard next to home made pasta!

I used regular flour in the recipe in the link above, but I reccommend Semolina flour as its way better suited for pasta making :)

Enjoy!!

I do!!! or you can go to home depot... for $1.50 you get two huge quarry tiles that are unglazed and voile!! you can make your own pizza stone! :)

If you want to make good pizza...they are abbbsooooluttteeeely essential!

Thanks for the link Ian! I saw that a long time ago but had forgotten about it. He got me an Imperia. It's supposed to be a good one as it's made in Italy, home of perfect pasta! I went to the store to look for 00 flour, but nobody in my neck of the woods has it. Thanks for the tip on flour. I want to try it out today as we're snowed in AGAIN! :shock: I have some bread flour and some whole wheat, They'll work OK, right?

Latest posts

Back