I’m taking the plunge this weekend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my, there's lots to give, most of them I learned from reading here so if you think you've read a lot, read more lol

For HP I think the first important thing I learned is not to wait for each stage they say you should get because they don't always show as distinctly as described. You might overcook. Once your soap looks mostly gelled, turn your crock off and it should finish off in there or in the mold. Just mix well before you transfer to the molds.

Second most important thing is start small and start simple. Your additives, and bigger batches can wait a bit more til you get a hang of things. This applies both to CP and HP.

Having said that, adding yogurt after the cook helps a lot for HP fluidity.

If your crockpot is too big and your blender doesn't submerge, bring your soap to trace in a smaller container then transfer.

Straight up powder is difficult to mix in into cooked HP batter so either add them to oil or water first. This is personal experience, not sure if others have the same.

Lastly.... Good luck and enjoy! And take pics :D

I agree with Dawni--go small and plain first. I guess I would say maybe pick one type--either HP or CP and get used to it before doing the other one. I tried both and then stuck with HP for awhile cuz I was comfortable with that type

Since you have a crockpot, great, use it. You can even use it if you choose to try CP as well, because you can melt your hard oils in it, and turn it off and continue to do the soaping in the crock. If it has a removable crock, you can take it out and it will cool off faster. Or you can leave it inside the base, and wait for it to cool down a bit after it's off & adding all the soft oils. Then soap just the same as you normally would in a bowl with CP.

I don't use my crockpot for CP very often anymore, but I used to when I first switched from HP to CP, just as I described above. Mine is a very large capacity crockpot, and I decided to make smaller batches so switched to bowls. Besides the crockpot can really heat up my kitchen in the summer and I prefer to avoid too much additional heat added in the summertime.

Batch size for starting out, is something that I never considered until discovering that a huge batch of failed soap is a bigger problem than a small batch of failed soap. So starting with smaller batch sizes, of say around 500 grams or about a pound of soap, is good for learning the process and won't result in so much soap it overwhelms. That is about bars of regular sized soap.

You can use just about anything out of your recycling for molds, too (read about soap safe containers here). But if you have an actual soap mold or a silicone baking mold, that works, too. Even a wooden card file box lined with freezer paper makes a decent soap mold. I picked up quite a few useful items at thrift stores to use as soap molds, too.

And always use a lye calculator when trying out a new recipe, or when making any changes to a recipe you have already used.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh my, there's lots to give, most of them I learned from reading here so if you think you've read a lot, read more lol

For HP I think the first important thing I learned is not to wait for each stage they say you should get because they don't always show as distinctly as described. You might overcook. Once your soap looks mostly gelled, turn your crock off and it should finish off in there or in the mold. Just mix well before you transfer to the molds.

Second most important thing is start small and start simple. Your additives, and bigger batches can wait a bit more til you get a hang of things. This applies both to CP and HP.

Having said that, adding yogurt after the cook helps a lot for HP fluidity.

If your crockpot is too big and your blender doesn't submerge, bring your soap to trace in a smaller container then transfer.

Straight up powder is difficult to mix in into cooked HP batter so either add them to oil or water first. This is personal experience, not sure if others have the same.

Lastly.... Good luck and enjoy! And take pics :D
Thank you, Dawni. I’m taking it all in. Does it matter what type of yogurt? Regular or greek?

Im pretty new myself to soapmaking. I'm a HP maker.

I will just say that if you end up liking HP way of doing it, just know that you don't have to slow cook it for hours. More heat and more stirring means faster saponification. I soap between 200F and 215F and stir a lot. Also add some things to speed up trace.

From the time I add my lye water to my oils to the time I have fully cooked soap and am getting ready to pour it in the mold is less than 10 minutes. The first HP soap I made I thought I needed to slow cook it. I prefer tending to it constantly for 10 minutes. Just be ready for the expansion (volcano) and stir to keep it down.

In addition to the yogurt, I would say definitely add most of your superfat after the cook. This not only let's you choose which oils you want as your superfat, but also helps again with fluidity.

Since you have a crockpot, great, use it. You can even use it if you choose to try CP as well, because you can melt your hard oils in it, and turn it off and continue to do the soaping in the crock. If it has a removable crock, you can take it out and it will cool off faster. Or you can leave it inside the base, and wait for it to cool down a bit after it's off & adding all the soft oils. Then soap just the same as you normally would in a bowl with CP.

I don't use my crockpot for CP very often anymore, but I used to when I first switched from HP to CP, just as I described above. Mine is a very large capacity crockpot, and I decided to make smaller batches so switched to bowls. Besides the crockpot can really heat up my kitchen in the summer and I prefer to avoid too much additional heat added in the summertime.

Batch size for starting out, is something that I never considered until discovering that a huge batch of failed soap is a bigger problem than a small batch of failed soap. So starting with smaller batch sizes, of say around 500 grams or about a pound of soap, is good for learning the process and won't result in so much soap it overwhelms. That is about bars of regular sized soap.

You can use just about anything out of your recycling for molds, too (read about soap safe containers here). But if you have an actual soap mold or a silicone baking mold, that works, too. Even a wooden card file box lined with freezer paper makes a decent soap mold. I picked up quite a few useful items at thrift stores to use as soap molds, too.

And always use a lye calculator when trying out a new recipe, or when making any changes to a recipe you have already used.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for your advice. I like using what I already have. I would’ve never thought to use the crockpot for both hp and co. I agree I need to make small batches. I’m going to try soapcalc tonight. I looked once and was overwhelmed. Lol.

I will just say that if you end up liking HP way of doing it, just know that you don't have to slow cook it for hours. More heat and more stirring means faster saponification. I soap between 200F and 215F and stir a lot. Also add some things to speed up trace.

From the time I add my lye water to my oils to the time I have fully cooked soap and am getting ready to pour it in the mold is less than 10 minutes. The first HP soap I made I thought I needed to slow cook it. I prefer tending to it constantly for 10 minutes. Just be ready for the expansion (volcano) and stir to keep it down.

In addition to the yogurt, I would say definitely add most of your superfat after the cook. This not only let's you choose which oils you want as your superfat, but also helps again with fluidity.

there are so many ways to do things--ya just need to figure out what works best for you--when I HP I put the crock on low and just check on it every once in awhile (well maybe a little more but I just do kitchen stuff while I am waiting) I don't take my lid off as it can dry out your soap and mine is done in close to 20 minutes

there are so many ways to do things--ya just need to figure out what works best for you--when I HP I put the crock on low and just check on it every once in awhile (well maybe a little more but I just do kitchen stuff while I am waiting) I don't take my lid off as it can dry out your soap and mine is done in close to 20 minutes

Very true! I just know when I started it seemed like almost everything was talking about cooking for 1-2 hours.

It seems challenging at times to find information about HP.

Very true! I just know when I started it seemed like almost everything was talking about cooking for 1-2 hours.

It seems challenging at times to find information about HP.

that's what I read too but then I watched a video by the from essential oils--her name is Kim and she made it sound so easy, and I follow what she showed

Thank you for your advice. Everyone is so helpful.

Yes, just like knitting. Different ways to get there. I’m eager to start experimenting. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Dawni. I’m taking it all in. Does it matter what type of yogurt? Regular or greek?
I've used both, basically whatever I had on hand and it was fine. Don't use flavored with fruit bits hahaha

I started by letting the soap sit in the pot on low and only stirred when let's say about 70% was gelled. I get to do chores in between but that took max 40mins depending on my recipe. When I have time to concentrate I stir more often on high and I agree, it does take less time, sometimes only 15mins. End product is the same as long as you don't overcook.

You need more input from the CPers lol so you can decide better

Some ppl aren’t going to agree with me on this but... The best thing I learned is that literally everything you’re doing in the soap making process is accelerating the reaction. All the reactions produce heat which accelerates, stirring accelerates, colorants accelerate, fragrance accelerates, etc. I think it’s super common for ppl starting out to over mix or use their stick blender too often as a result since they haven’t quite reached the form of trace they want etc. Honestly as you continue doing the next steps, soap will reach the stage/consistency you want, most of the time earlier than you would like. If you’re somewhat happy with the consistency and it’s not being weird or separating then stop mixing!

Some ppl aren’t going to agree with me on this but... The best thing I learned is that literally everything you’re doing in the soap making process is accelerating the reaction. All the reactions produce heat which accelerates, stirring accelerates, colorants accelerate, fragrance accelerates, etc. I think it’s super common for ppl starting out to over mix or use their stick blender too often as a result since they haven’t quite reached the form of trace they want etc. Honestly as you continue doing the next steps, soap will reach the stage/consistency you want, most of the time earlier than you would like. If you’re somewhat happy with the consistency and it’s not being weird or separating then stop mixing!
Thank you. That makes sense. I'm going for it tomorrow.

Enjoy - but be warned -- It's addictive!!!
I started this year too and I think pretty much any spare cash seems to go on soap making supplies!!
Hope it goes well and would be great to see some photos of your first soap :)

Back