hypoallergenic soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nachtpleeg

Reaction score
First post!

Couple of days ago my girl was getting some work done on her tattoos and I got into a conversation with the artist. She mentioned that she was looking to supply her customers with a complimentary piece of hypo allergenic soap. She got really excited when I mentioned that I could make soap based on her artwork.
Now the problem is, I know how to make soap. But I have no idea about making hypoallergenic soap. And I really want to be careful with this since the soap will be used on freshly tattood skin.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thank you CreativeWeirdo!!!

I suspected Castille soap would do the trick. But mine never seem to come out right. I'll definitely give this recipe a try.
Meanwhile I did some digging and got this of the FDA website:

There are no Federal standards or definitions that govern the use of the term "hypoallergenic." The term means whatever a particular company wants it to mean. Manufacturers of cosmetics labeled as hypoallergenic are not required to submit substantiation of their hypoallergenicity claims to FDA.

The term "hypoallergenic" may have considerable market value in promoting cosmetic products to consumers on a retail basis, but dermatologists say it has very little meaning.

So legally I could make a peanutbutter and gluten soap and still call it hypoallergenic.

So legally I could make a peanutbutter and gluten soap and still call it hypoallergenic.

You're very welcome! Zany's No Slime Castile (AKA ZNSC) is VERY popular on SMF! You'll find MANY posts from different people and their experiences and adaptations/experimentations with it. Feel free to do a search. Yesterday people were discussing it on Baby Soap.

I decided to look up what Health Canada had to say about "hypoallergenic":
Hypoallergenic
"Hypoallergenic" is neither a legal nor a scientific term. It simply means that the manufacturer has chosen ingredients to produce a finished product with minimum potential for causing allergy. This does not guarantee that the product will not cause an allergic reaction in some individuals, since people are allergic to a wide range of substances. There are no non-allergenic cosmetics. If you experience an allergic reaction to a cosmetic, try switching to a different brand. Cosmetic advertising, labelling and ingredients - Canada.ca

Thanks AliOop,
I use tallow in almost every soap I make. For now I'll try the ZNSC, but I'll bring it up with the tattoo artist since it may bring down the cost of the soap.

I guess adding fragnance to the soap is out of the question. But any thoughts on colorants? I like the idea of using calendula since it's a herbal remedy for cuts and scrapes. But then again, calendula has been known to give allergic reactions. I had visions of beautifully colored soaps swimming in my head before the "hypoallergenic" thing sunk in.

I agree, best to go with no color or fragrance.

You could also make one batch with no color, and another with calendula-infused OO. Then people could choose what suits them best.

Thanks for the input everyone. Work is keeping me away from soaping right now. (The universe is sometimes not a friendly place.) As soon as I've finished the moulds, I'll start experimenting with Zany's Famous no Slime Castille. I'll keep you updated.

From my experience with multiple Drs regarding allergens in general, there really is no such thing as hypoallergenic. People can be allergic to anything. I really can’t stand these misleading words used by companies. ie: natural, hypoallergenic, organic, etc…. So misleading, not to mention confusing to the consumer….ggrrrrrr….sorry. Rant over.

Yknow what else you can make? An after care balm!

I've approached a couple of tattoo artists with this idea but this pandemic has slowed things down for all of us.

I too didn't know how to go about the soap for after tattoo care coz there's just too many variables (at least in my head lol) but I do agree with the lard/tallow idea, and also with the Castile (although personally I'm not a fan). Any gentle enough soap could do I think.. RBO is another option, Shea Butter, sweet almond oil too.

Maybe you can also see what people use for their babies and make something similar but marketed for tats.

Now the problem is, I know how to make soap. But I have no idea about making hypoallergenic soap. And I really want to be careful with this since the soap will be used on freshly tattood skin.

All 'hypoallergenic' means is something unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. So I would start with a list of oils and butters most likely to not cause an allergic reaction and then develop a recipe from there.

I use Olive, Coconut, Palm and Castor Oils, and Cocoa and Shea Butter. I've only had one person who had issues with those ingredients...turns out she can't use Cocoa or Shea Butter. Because she is someone I personally know, I make non-butter soap just for her.

I think maybe an ointment vs. soap is best for healing tattoos from the little bit of reading I've done.

TIP: I have a 100 ml bottle of 95% jojoba (long shelf life) and 5% lavender essential oil that I use for burns & itchies. I recently had a lye accident that involved both hands. After rinsing with cold water, I rubbed the oil all over my hands and between my fingers. It penetrated quickly. It soothed the lye burn immediately with absolutely no scarring. Within minutes, my hands were back to normal. :thumbup: 😉

6 Best Soaps for Tattoos
https://www.bustle.com/style/the-4-best-soaps-to-clean-tattoos-9585291
DIY Tattoo Salve
https://www.bustle.com/articles/861...-can-make-at-home-to-keep-your-ink-in-tip-top
I think a salve made with olive oil, healing castor oil, beeswax and healing lavender oil and/or anti-fungal anti-bacterial tea tree oil would do quite nicely.

Last edited:
My daughter is into ink...on her new tattoos she just showers as usual with my soap and then puts an oil over the top of the ink to keep it moisturized. I believe that she got it from the tattoo artist, so have no idea what it is. My usual soaps are made with lard, RBO and either shea or cocoa butter. And lately, due to @Dawni 's suggestion, either double or triple rice in the recipe. Check out Triple Rice Soap Triple rice soap Sorry that it didn't come up with a highlighted link...but I am pretty much a computer illiterate! LOL But the addition of rice has added a whole new element to my soaps...very gentle.

I know nothing about tattoos but am fascinated by this thread. I think any homemade CP soap would be so much better than store bought. When I am forced to use store bought soap, it feels caustic -- even Dove Sensitive.

I've used kukui not oil in soap and in lotion bars and it feels fantastic. Even plain kukui oil is a great balm for sunburned skin. While I'm not an expert on tattoos, this blue-eyed Norwegian is an expert on sun burns.

:thumbup:
Thanks for the link to @Dawni 's Triple Rice Soap. I bookmarked it! 😉
I was surprised at the difference in the feel of the lather. It feels silkier than my regular cured soap, and I think even makes the water feel silkier when it rinses the soap off in the shower. I've used in varying percentages of RBO, lard, butters and don't find much difference other than with or without the rice.

I need to try your faux seawater one of these days, only use one of my recipes as I can't deal with olive oil (it itches) and then the same with Dawni's triple rice. I haven't been able to do any soaping since spring, but need to get back into the groove of making it monthly or I'll run out of cured soap! Your recipe has been on my to-do list for a while.

I was surprised at the difference in the feel of the lather. It feels silkier than my regular cured soap, and I think even makes the water feel silkier when it rinses the soap off in the shower. I've used in varying percentages of RBO, lard, butters and don't find much difference other than with or without the rice.

I need to try your faux seawater one of these days, only use one of my recipes as I can't deal with olive oil (it itches) and then the same with Dawni's triple rice. I haven't been able to do any soaping since spring, but need to get back into the groove of making it monthly or I'll run out of cured soap! Your recipe has been on my to-do list for a while.
Adding faux sea water to Rice Soap sounds like a great idea. I hope I can remember to try that myself.

Latest posts

Back