Quantcast

hydrolized silk protein in CP soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

reallyrita

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
6
I just got a bottle of liquid silk amino acid protein for my soaps. I have the information that I need to add it to the water but do I then substract this small amount from the total water amount? Do I combine it with the water and then add the lye? Or do I combine the lye and water and then stir in the silk liquid? Help me out here, I am such a newbie!! Thank you!!
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
I does not take much of the liquid silk protein. I only use that in my creams and butters. I use real silk threads in my CP soap. One needs to mix the silk threads to the lye/water solution when it is really hot to dissolve the silk. I like to soak my silk in the aloe vera juice for a few minutes before I add my lye to the mixture.
In answer to your question, no, you do not need to subtract any liquids from the recipe since you are adding liquid silk. You only need a few drops per pound of oils when it is in the liquid form. I use a Q-Tip size ball of real silk per pound of oils in my recipe, so little is required.

Hope this helps!

Paul.... :wink:
 

reallyrita

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
6
silk protein in CP soap

Irena and Paul! thank you for the advice..seems as if I should have ordered the silk threads and not the liquid but i will try a few drops and see how it goes. Paul, so glad to see you back in the saddle (soap!) so soon. I eagerly read all your advice. Eventually I will work my way up to goat milk soap. I have to just get the basics down first. I am a bit of a slow learner but not afraid to experiment a tiny bit at this point. My DH has super sensitive skin and can only tolerate uncolored, unscented GM soap. Someday soon, I hope he has my own
soap to use...meanwhile...farmers' market variety will have to do.
 

CPSoaper

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
501
Reaction score
0
The liquid silk is so much more costly to use in cp soap than the strands. 1 oz of tussah silk will last forever. :wink:
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
CPSoaper said:
The liquid silk is so much more costly to use in cp soap than the strands. 1 oz of tussah silk will last forever. :wink:
:lol: :lol: Yea, ain't that the truth! I bought a pound bag of tussah silk in a swap this summer! :) It was golden colored and beautiful!
It should last me about 20 years! LOL It was from LookChina.com We got a great deal on it. I have some other silk Noils, but they need to be brushed clean before using in soap. It still works well though. If someone wants a ounce of that silk, let me know and I'll sell it cheap.
Paul.... :wink:
A GM RTCP Soapier!
TOG Soapmaking Tools!
 

soapbuddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
5,311
Reaction score
22
Location
Hot Desert of Cali
Soapmaker Man said:
CPSoaper said:
The liquid silk is so much more costly to use in cp soap than the strands. 1 oz of tussah silk will last forever. :wink:
:lol: :lol: Yea, ain't that the truth! I bought a pound bag of tussah silk in a swap this summer! :) It was golden colored and beautiful!
It should last me about 20 years! LOL It was from LookChina.com We got a great deal on it. I have some other silk Noils, but they need to be brushed clean before using in soap. It still works well though. If someone wants a ounce of that silk, let me know and I'll sell it cheap.
Paul.... :wink:
A GM RTCP Soapier!
TOG Soapmaking Tools!
You bought a pound? Wow, that will last you a good loooooooooooooong time. :D

Irena
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
soapbuddy said:
Soapmaker Man said:
CPSoaper said:
The liquid silk is so much more costly to use in cp soap than the strands. 1 oz of tussah silk will last forever. :wink:
:lol: :lol: Yea, ain't that the truth! I bought a pound bag of tussah silk in a swap this summer! :) It was golden colored and beautiful!
It should last me about 20 years! LOL It was from LookChina.com We got a great deal on it. I have some other silk Noils, but they need to be brushed clean before using in soap. It still works well though. If someone wants a ounce of that silk, let me know and I'll sell it cheap.
Paul.... :wink:
A GM RTCP Soapier!
TOG Soapmaking Tools!
You bought a pound? Wow, that will last you a good loooooooooooooong time. :D

Irena
Yup! :D I'll grab a photo of it and show everyone! It's great silk!

Paul.... :wink:
 

CPSoaper

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
501
Reaction score
0
Soapmaker Man said:
CPSoaper said:
The liquid silk is so much more costly to use in cp soap than the strands. 1 oz of tussah silk will last forever. :wink:
:lol: :lol: Yea, ain't that the truth! I bought a pound bag of tussah silk in a swap this summer! :) It was golden colored and beautiful!
It should last me about 20 years! LOL It was from LookChina.com We got a great deal on it. I have some other silk Noils, but they need to be brushed clean before using in soap. It still works well though. If someone wants a ounce of that silk, let me know and I'll sell it cheap.
Paul.... :wink:
A GM RTCP Soapier!
TOG Soapmaking Tools!
I have the same silk and just love it. I bought some before from SW and it looked totally different. Seemed to work just fine but looked like cotton. I much prefer the silk from lookchina.com. It makes such a difference in my soaps that I can not imagine soaping without it.
 

Mothi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
FL
Not to hijack this threat, but what does adding silk to soap do? Is it a specific type of silk?
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
Mothi said:
Not to hijack this threat, but what does adding silk to soap do? Is it a specific type of silk?
It adds a "silky" smooth feel to the soap. If you notice, today there are so many products on TV like in shampoos and such that contain silk. It does make a definite difference in the feel!

Paul.... :wink:
 

Judy wells

New Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hydrolyzed sik protein

I'm new. Want to make a luxury soap with hydrolyzed silk. How do I do it? Need how to with the recipe. Judy
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
Welcome Judy! :wink: I use real silk threads in my soap. I do use hydrolyzed silk in all my lotions and body butters. I use a pea size piece in my lye solution when at max heat, as it dissolves in the solution. Adds a silky feel to soap and lotions.

Paul
 

Missjulesdid

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
255
Reaction score
4
Location
Massachusetts
Paul,, I'd like to try the silk. Just let me know how much you want for the ounce and we can transact the money and product with the other stuff from the 3 oil swap.
 

organicsoapgal

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know...if this type of liquid silk, do you still have to kill the silkworms to get it? Or is this the kind that taken from them after they have died?
 

Latest posts

Top