hydrogenated canola shortening vs. canola oil in cp soap recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalmia

Reaction score
I bought some 100% canola vegetable shortening from my soap supply store and am wondering how using this hydrogenated version would differ from using liquid canola oil for cold process soap making. SoapCalc lists only Crisco, which contains a mixture of oils, so it isn't much use to me here. Does anyone know how the SAP and fatty acid values differ between the liquid and hydrogenated versions of canola oil?

I bought some 100% canola vegetable shortening from my soap supply store and am wondering how using this hydrogenated version would differ from using liquid canola oil for cold process soap making. SoapCalc lists only Crisco, which contains a mixture of oils, so it isn't much use to me here. Does anyone know how the SAP and fatty acid values differ between the liquid and hydrogenated versions of canola oil?

You can use the same SAP, but there is no way to know the fatty acid profile unless you can get the info from the manufacturer. All you know is that the fatty acids are more saturated on the average than the ones in the liquid oil. The soap produced from this product should be harder to some extent. Both the oil and the soap should be more stable than they would be with unhydrogenated canola oil.

Back