Hydrocortizone 10 Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillK

Reaction score
I had a minor surgery a few months ago and the scar has been itching. The doctor has told me to put hydrocortizone 10 on the scar to help with itching/healing. I have been trying to find a recipe for this and really having a hard time with it. I did find one on this forum https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/eczema-and-teenage-acne-cream.53887/#post-511875 for acne, but not for sure if this is what I am looking for. The question is does anyone have a recipe for something similar to hydrocortizone 10 that I could make.
Thanks.
Jill

Hydrocortisone is not something you're likely to find as an additive you can put in homemade salve or something. And I don't know of anything that is a direct substitute for hydrocortisone. If hydrocortisone is specifically what you need, a store-bought salve or spray is going to be the best and easiest option. It's inexpensive and a little goes a long way.

I can't quite decide if that's what your asking for, however. Maybe restating your question would help? So ... are you looking for home remedies in general that would help soothe a healing scar and promote healing? Is this what you're wanting?

Thanks DeeAnna for your answer. You gave me what I needed to know. Will order the Hydrocotizone. Your an angel.
Jill

I'm glad I could help. I'm always learning about this type of thing. Cortisone has its place and I use it when necessary for very itchy and irritated skin. It reduces the inflammation as nothing else can.

Another thing for you to consider is an allantion based product. It might be something that might help if you don't need the heavy-duty itch and irritation fighting ability of hydrocortisone. My husband had radiation treatment which left scar tissue on some delicate private parts. He has had good results with a product called Mederma. It's a clear water-based gel with allantoin as the active ingredient.

I found research that supports Mederma's claim that allantoin helps to reduce or minimize scar tissue and aid in general healing of the skin and is reasonably safe for long term use. It's not an instant cure for scar tissue, but daily long-term use doesn't seem to have ill effects and seems to gradually help.

Allantoin is a product you can buy as an additive for home crafted products. I believe I got mine from Lotioncrafter. The one thing about allantoin is that it is only slightly soluble in water, so you have to be careful to not use too much and to get what you do use properly dissolved into solution. If you don't, the lotion will be gritty and I'm not sure the allantion will be as effective.

I have put allantoin into a light lotion for general skin use; it's nice on itchy dry skin. DH prefers the Mederma for his particular problem areas, however -- it's soothing and non-greasy and a little dab is all he needs.

I will try the cortizone first. If that doesn't work I will try the allantoin.
Thanks again.
Jill

Back