Hurricane Ida

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagey

Reaction score
I think NOLA is going to get the worst of this storm since it will be on the northeast quadrant. And it looks like it will be a Cat 4/5 by landfall. I have encouraged everyone I know in Houma, Thibodaux, and NOLA to evacuate. I especially don't think those levees are going to hold nor those pumps going to work efficiently in NOLA, no matter what the Corps of Engineers say.

New Orleans thanks all of the well-wishers.
We're preparing for the worse but are cautiously optimistic.

The things that folks like the Weather Channel don't like to talk about is all the changes that have taken place in New Orleans since Katrina.
We've got more pumping stations and most have new pumps. In addition, they've created "stay in place" facilities at the pumping stations so personnel don't have to evacuate.
They've built a massive wall/flood gate on the south side of New Orleans - one that blocks roads and storm surges. Easily 30 foot high. Built after Katrina.
All the levees and storm drains have be repaired, cleaned and reinforced (since Katrina).
[Remember, Katrina was a very slow moving hurricane that NOLA could had survived had a levee not ruptured.]
With all these improvements - and Ida expecting to be a fast-moving storm - we're expecting flooding (in the typical low-lying areas) and possible power outages -- but since no evacuation ordered for the city dwellers, we're confident we should be fine.

Agree that folks closer to the coast should consider higher ground. Got friends in Houma and I pretty sure they've all left town. Same with Plaquermine's parish.

Again - thanks for positive vibes.
Let's hope it's much less than a 4 when it hits shore.
But either way - most of us are ready!

We actually came out fine in New Orleans (compared to our friend in Houma & Grand Isle).
We're without power - and expect this to continue for weeks (unfortunately).
Too many transmission towers and lines were blown down.

But we got water & gas. But no internet, cable or power.

In addition to utility poles, trees and branches came down. Old roofs were compromised. But if your house was in good condition, you're probably fine... just hot and sweaty until you take a cold shower.

Grocery stores are starting to open.
Open gas stations are more scarce - but today Entergy got power restored in a few places.
So as they roll out with more repairs -- more are expected to open.

We love our city and have come to learn that with this great place sometimes come big storms.
Neighbors with generators are helping out those without power.
It's a time we all come together.
Thanks for all the well wishes.

Back