human / dog bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
I've ordered some eucalyptus, peppermint, and tea tree oil.

I'm wanting to make a pet bar that repels fleas and ticks. I know that cats can't use anything with EO's so it will just be for dogs.

How much of each oil should I use?

I have a 1lb vegan recipe with Crisco (10), Olive oil(3), and coconut oil(3), lye (2.2), liquid (5.3).

Regular recipe, lard (12), coconut oil (2), soybean oil (2), lye (2.1), liquid (5.7).

Woah 2 months ago this question wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever to me, I must be catchin on.... :D

hi ilovedoxies,

just make sure, that in any rinse-off product, you never use more than 3% of scents; and preferably a little less for animals.

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com is an exellent site, when you want to know how to come to certain blends.

Foxfire Blend

ESSENTIAL OIL PARTS
Eucalyptus, Blue Gum 1
Peppermint 2
Tea Tree 1

So, when using 2% essential oils, u want
0.5% eucalyptus,
1% peppermint
0.5% tea tree

note that lard works really well on dogs-skin, why make a vegan bar; vegans feed their dog with meat to?
make sure to superfat generously :wink: most dogs have very dry skin

dagmar

Thanks for your advice and that link.

I did make the dog bar and I used a 1 lb recipe with a dropper and a half of the oils premixed. I did use the vegan recipe, but now that you mentioned it I really dont know why... I think I just wanted to experiment with the vegan products.

We have washed our dogs with a plain lard/lye/water bar and it worked fine. The bar with the EO's killed loads of fleas, I was so impressed. I'm definately making more.

I use the lye calc and choose the excess oil recipe at 5%, do you think that is that enough for dogs?

Many thanks!

be very sure to rinse it off completely - dog skin is often NOT happy with the high pH of real soaps.

consider this though - because it's a rinse off product, just how is it supposed to repel the critters?

hi
dog skin is often NOT happy with the high pH of real soaps.

in fact dog skin isn't happy with anything else either; (dog) shampoo's are very drying, the cleaning particles will remove the layer of fat, whitch protects dog skin.

at least, a soap made with lard, and superfatted, will leave a film of fat behind.

also, you're not supposed to wash your dog more than 1 - 3 times a year (with anything but water), so that won't affect the ph to much.

dagmar

dagmar88 said:
also, you're not supposed to wash your dog more than 1 - 3 times a year (with anything but water), so that won't affect the ph to much.

dagmar

Eww, you haven't met my 120 lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever. That dog needs a bath every week! But I just use regular soap, very gentle.

I have secret recipe to kill fleas. Peel a few oranges, tangerines, clementines, what ever you have - so you have about 2 or 3 cups of peels. You can save the peels up until you have enough. Place the peels in a stockpot with about 3 qts water. Boil away until the peels are mushy and the water is reduced by at least 1/2. Strain through a fine sieve or cheesecloth. When its cool put the strained liquid in a spray bottle, spray the dog, bedding, carpets - anywhere you want to kill fleas.

The natural pyrethrins in the orange peel work to kill and repel fleas and the oranges smell nice! Safe for the dog and you, too.

hey deda,
that's a real good tip
i had an 150 lb tosa inu (japanese wrestling dog), so i know exactly what you're saying! :wink: he was in the tub a lot, but most of the time with just nice warm water, loved it, and didn't stink :D besides, when i did wash him with soap, he'd do anything to get the 'nasty' smell off :lol:
every dog is different, of course :wink:
dagmar

Back