Huge soleseif error I don't know how I can fix.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier this week, I created a modified version of a recipe I've already made before. A lard/OO/CO76/Castor (%: 50/30/15/5). I include a photo of my printed recipe with notes, because it illustrates the glaring mistake I made that I didn't see until just now. My oil percentages (amounts) are ALL off. I made it cold process, over the course of 2 days, between Sunday, when I had my son help me with mixing the lye, and Monday when I did all the test.
What I failed to do was actually work on my binder sheet like I usually do, with not only the percentages, but also the amounts. I only worked with the amounts on the lye calculator sheet. Totally my mistake. My only excuse is that it was my first day I felt better in weeks. I know better.
ETA: My mistake was that somehow the percentages in the calculator were changed, likely my spastic fingers, and I was so tired I didn't see it. Even tonight I didn't see it for hours until I was about to rewrite it into my soap recipe book.
Will this soap ever be mild enough for someone, except maybe to wash down chemically contaminated folks?
Help!

Attachments

• 16289058845855383033639921357105.jpg
    16289058845855383033639921357105.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 16289059490125810799711330129476.jpg
    16289059490125810799711330129476.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 62
I'm not long out of bed, and trying to zoom in on the sheets on my phone, so maybe I'm not seeing it either - is it that the oils are 50 25 20 5 instead of 50 30 15 5? Or did you switch the order of the OO and CO?

I got you right that you have shifted 10% of the recipe from olive to coconut? As long as you have stuck to the recipe and used the calculated 712 g of lye (5% SF), it will saponify just fine. 30% CO is outside the comfort zone of some, but others don't care. I'm pretty positive that, if this was the only mistake, you don't need to worry.

BTW, I'm pretty impressed how precisely you descibe what you're doing, and why (and even when!). Noting all the details means you don't have to remember them (and heck, one always fails to remember one tiny detail).

I don't quite get what your second (handwritten) notepad page is good for. You were separating some of the liquid oils to pre-disperse the FOs in? In this case you don't have to worry about lye at all. Just add all the lye at SB time (it doesn't matter if the batter is lye-heavy at this time), and add the oil/FO blend whenever you feel comfortable with it (when emulsion is stable, or at trace, or after splitting/adding colourants, or as HP post-cook superfat).

Looks good to me. With an INS of 160 (so-called "perfect" soap), I don't see a problem -- except with the hardness value of 44, lye to water ratio of 1.7: 1 and salt ratio 10%, that increases the hardness of an already "hard" formula. You may want to cut ASAP.
A long-cure, I should think, will take care of what you perceive to be harsh.
Patience is a soapmaker's best friend. ;) :thumbs:

@Tara_H and @ResolvableOwl, yes, both of you understood my scrambled explanation that I somehow increased my CO by 10%, and lowered my OO by the same amount. I was hoping to get a fairly mild soap for a hard water area with a target audience (my son, his 2 friends) that work in the dirt and mud year round. They're electrical linemen so they get that ground-in stuff that's hard to get out with just shower gel and loofah, apparently. My son told me his supervisor was impressed by how clean he was every morning and asked if he'd share the soap.
you descibe what you're doing, and why (and even when!). Noting all the details means you don't have to remember them (and heck, one always fails to remember one tiny detail).
I don't quite get what your second (handwritten) notepad page is good for.
This is why I write my notepad sheet out: before, during, and after. Especially when I've been sick. I have been caught short enough times that I've learned my lesson! I've even forgotten to write down the DATE I made a recipe in my haste to get my recipe down, and not noticed, until I've gone back to check how long my soaps have been curing.
@Zany_in_CO thanks for the reassurance! Whew. I was looking at those numbers but they're out of my comfort zone. I usually make soap for myself and my littles who all have fairly dry skin. For my son, I've made a small batch and only changed the SF and the salinity of the brine to 25%. And the numbers were my "correct" ones of 50-lard, 30-OO, 15-CO,15 Castor, with my SF at 4%.
These soaps were intended to be cured until Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll aim for Christmas...
Oh, and, yes, I did simplify convoluted thoughts and added the FO to about 600g of the soap batter, which was at very thin trace. Btw, it accelerated a bit, and made it a muddy brown, which was fine by me.
Alas, the ASAP in cutting didn't happen. I was exhausted and cut the next day. Crumbles everywhere of the FO loaf, of course. The color of the bars was pretty though. The rest of the batter is in individual molds. Still somewhat soft.
To everyone, thank you so very much for the great soapy help! 🧼😍

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_191812_697.jpg
    IMG_20210812_191812_697.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
You're welcome. I was afraid there might be crumbles, but those bars don't look half-bad, considering. You might be able to clean them up with just a dunk and a scrub in the kitchen sink. The chocolate color ones look tempting! LOL. 🤤

Good to hear! If they don't have to be “beautiful” but practical, I think you can just leave them as they are. You know best how much critique to expect from the audience … If your pride/perfectionism wins, you might try to plane off the worst and crumbliest edges (and some of the pale “rind” that forms with cocoa colouration at times). But keep in mind that after the first or second usage, the surfaces will be fine anyway – you could as well just wash them off (a week or two into curing).

If your pride/perfectionism wins, you might try to plane off the worst and crumbliest edges (and some of the pale “rind” that forms with cocoa colouration at times).
😂 The linemen these bars are intended for are "manly men", they don't care about looks! *snort, guffaw* Seriously though, my pride did win out a bit so the veg peeler came out and I did try to smooth some of the rougher edges out. As for that yellow rind, I've never had it before, even with a heavy hand with cocoa in my previous 2 batches. I'll just wait. Like I mentioned, these bars will NOT see the light of day for many months, so I'm hoping age will mellow their countenance.
Thank you kindly, Soap guru, for the added advice!

Latest posts

Back