Hubby Wants Menthol Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a balm that my hubby and I put on our faces before we go to bed using about 1.5% (on this last batch) but it isn't enough for us. I did just make a cold process batch of spa soap that I used 1/2 an ounce of menthol crystals (dissolved in olive oil) with Eucalyptus EO and Tea Tree EO. I didn't want to much in this, I would hate to have someone experience that feeling somewhere delicate.

For your hand soap that is too minty keep it in the kitchen and use it to wash your hands after cutting onions or garlic. The mint really cuts those odors and hopefully just using it on your hands won't be uncomfortable.

UPDATE- I just could not wait to try that soap out(8 days old). Lathers surprisingly well for such a young soap. Hubby likes the cooling factor fine. Did not set my lady bits on fire.

I used eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint, and menthol in a 1:1:1.5:1.5 ratio. I could have skipped the tea tree altogether, and just done a 1:1:1 ratio with the others. I think it would have turned out better.

"...The bag of ice cubes I sat on was almost as unbearable as the burning. Lots of screaming in my house that day...."

Next time ... assuming there is a next time :mrgreen: ... wipe the affected area with plain oil. That will help remove the offending ingredient that's causing the burn.

It's similar to what you get when eating hot peppers -- the capsaicin in hot peppers is also oil soluble, so the best way to cool that burn is to eat or drink something that has fat in it, like milk.

I have a customer who likes 3% menthol in all her soaps. Normally i would use 1-2% tops. Put the crystals in a bit of glycerin inside a double boiler.

I've been making a Peppermint & Menthol soap as a standard for years. I usually add the menthol at 3%. I always dissolve the crystals in the essential oils.

Last year, my brother asked me to make it REALLY intense, so I added the menthol at 6%, and everyone loved it! By everyone, I mean men actually. In general, I've found that women tend to not like menthol, and that men love menthol.

Just my 2 cents.

What's the difference between using menthol crystals and using say Mint EO? I love mint so menthol sounds tempting....

Mint EOs are liquid, and you still have to watch the usage rate on peppermint. Menthol is crystals. But menthol puts the cool into the soap that you would associate with the peppermint smell. Or something. Think Vick's Vapor Rub type cooling.

Women probably don't care for the menthol soap for a couple of reasons:

1) Women tend to be more cold natured than men.
2) It will absolutely set "tender tissues" on fire. Women have them. Men don't.

hrmmmmm sitting on a bag of ice cubes is funny to read about (sorry) but not sure I want to test it....

*puts menthol idea on back burner*:mrgreen:

Looks like the reason why the amount of menthol and "cooling" essential oils like peppermint is recommended to use at or below ~1-2% per lb is not mentioned. LOL.

My experience with a bar of peppermint soap I made at ~ 2% was exciting since the, ah, um, lesser visible parts of the body had to be fanned because that darned cooling effect felt like burning about 10 seconds after drying off with a towel. I ran around the house hoping & praying the butt on fire feel would soon go away. It did, but it notably took a while. FYI.

Take care with the menthol crystals and test, test, test!!

Julie

Dang! Reminds me of the time I decided to multitask in the bathroom. One should not use Ben Gay to ease sore muscles and use the same hand to... (Even AFTER using a baby wipe to get all the muscle rub off your hand first!). Ben Gay & girl parts are NOT compatible in any way!

UPDATE: OK, he's been using the soap for about a week with no ill effects...so I tried it. It did sort of irritate my eyelids, so I chickened out using it other places. He loves it. I think this will be a "men only" soap in my family.

Latest posts

Back