HP with Powdered Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiea26

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of HP soap with powdered milk. I've done several batches with regular (cow, goat, almond) milk and they come out great, but I want to see if this way is easier.
Is it possible to add milk powder to my HP soap and if so, when do I add it?
I've read you can add it to the oils, the water, or add at trace but all of those are for CP recipes. I'm trying to avoid reconstituting the milk, because that defeats the purpose of using powdered milk in this case - I have regular milk in the fridge lol.
I'm making a big batch of milk soap to donate to a few local shelters and I'd love some advice on this to make it really nice, and avoid my usual wasteful experimentation ;)
Thanks in advance!

I make HP goat's milk soap with powdered milk and what I do is add the powder to a little distilled water (ex. If I'm using 2oz of water I'll use 1oz of the powdered milk) and then add it after the cook once it's cooled down to 180 degrees. That also helps makes the soap a little more fluid.

I also add the milk powder to the oils when doing CP.

For HP, I second the idea of adding it to a bit of warm water to create a runny paste consistency (or looser) and adding that mix to the post-cook batter to get some fluidity for pouring.

Just be sure that your milk mix is warm, since adding anything cold or even room temp would cause your batter to thicken, rather than to become more fluid.

For HP soap, I would add a little water to make a runny paste and add it after the cook. Of course you can add it to your oils and many do that - but in my opinion it darkens the soap and I like a lighter colored final soap. I only add powders to my oils when I am making CP.

Yes I only do HP I start anywere from 130 to 160 ish.. depending on oils on low in crook pot then let it cook away until its done.. it get hotter as it cooks but thats my adding lye temps
Okay, I thought it was your cooking temperature and I’ve never seen any that low. My lye is master batched so it’s always cool.

Latest posts

Back