HP - water discount?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlowinBubbles

Reaction score
Could I do a water discount with HP and then add the balance of liquid at the end of the cook?
My current recipe uses water @ 38% of oils (1000g oils). My thought was to use 190g of water for the cook then 190g milk at the end.
A part of me thinks maybe this isn't enough water for HP. Am I barking up the wrong tree or is this do-able?

This is how I made hot process goat milk soaps, on a regular basis. Well...I figured I would do it with coconut milk and my vegan recipe (which is very different from my goat milk recipe) and I ended up making a very very wet soap with giant chunks of rock hard soap through it. My vegan recipe was too thick with a heavy water discount and I added room temperature coconut milk (instead of heating it) and it didn't mix with the hot batter very well at all. The soap turned out...eventually, but the one part stayed very soft and the chunks were very hard, even after 12 weeks cure time. So, know your recipe first. :) And I would say to warm up your milk before adding it to the soap batter to help it incorporate into a thick batter better. Oh...and for the first time I wouldn't make too big of a batch, just in case. I made a double batch of my vegan base that time and ended up with a LOT of weird soap on hand.

That is a huge amount to leave out for many recipes to cook well. You could also look at doing a 75/25 split instead of 50/50 as a start and if that is plenty wet enough, try 50/50 and see how you get on. I would half a batch for these tests, just in case!

Latest posts

Back