HP to CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bectiz

Reaction score
Hi All,
Probably the most stupid question.
I’ve only ever made hot processed soap as it easier. No need for thermometers and only one pot. Is there any reason why I can’t pour the mixture into a mould at trace, without continuing with the cook?

Hi All,
Probably the most stupid question.
I’ve only ever made hot processed soap as it easier. No need for thermometers and only one pot. Is there any reason why I can’t pour the mixture into a mould at trace, without continuing with the cook?
That's how CP is made, once you are at trace, pour in the mold. I make CP and never use thermometers. Even before I did CP at room temp, I never took temps.

That's how CP is made, once you are at trace, pour in the mold. I make CP and never use thermometers. Even before I did CP at room temp, I never took temps.
Thank you. I couldn’t think of any reason why not. I’ll give it a go!

Thank you. I couldn’t think of any reason why not. I’ll give it a go!
Being used to HP, the main things to know, is it will take longer to saponify, so will have to be in the mold longer than HP, will be softer after cutting than HP, but will still need a 4-6 week cure such as HP.

You might also think about lowering your water if you aren't going to cook the soap. HP recipes tend to have higher water percentages (33-38%) to offset the water loss during cook. But if you use that amount for CP, the extra water doesn't cook off - which means the soap will take longer to cure, can be more likely to overheat/crack or develop soda ash, or might warp when curing.

A good water percentage range for CP is 25-30%, depending on how much fluidity you want for swirls, whether you are using fast- or slow-tracing oils, etc. For your first try at CP, maybe try 30% water and see how that goes for you.

You might also think about lowering your water if you aren't going to cook the soap. HP recipes tend to have higher water percentages (33-38%) to offset the water loss during cook. But if you use that amount for CP, the extra water doesn't cook off - which means the soap will take longer to cure, can be more likely to overheat/crack or develop soda ash, or might warp when curing.

A good water percentage range for CP is 25-30%, depending on how much fluidity you want for swirls, whether you are using fast- or slow-tracing oils, etc. For your first try at CP, maybe try 30% water and see how that goes for you.

I have to disagree about the water, I use 38% for CP, I've never dropped that back in all the soaps I've made, also never had the warping when curing, no overheating and cracking, I sometimes get ash, but that's hit and miss for me anyway. As far as curing the 4 - 6 wks works for me :thumbs:.

Last edited:
I HP mostly and CP rarely and I get warped bars on both if I use too much water. It depends on the recipe in my opinion.

I personally use less than usual if it's a mostly soft oil recipe. My Castiles and variations of Zany's faux seawater recipes (among others), both HP and CP, needed less water than the usual 2:1 for CP and 3:1 for HP.

Most my current HP recipes only use 3:1 if I'm trying out a fancy swirl otherwise I use 2.4-2.8:1 mostly.

Latest posts

Back