HP temps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbarrin1

Reaction score
Hi, what temp do you find best to keep your base oils at and your lye water before mixing? Do you set your slow cooker on high or low when melting oils? What about hot vs low when cooking the soap? Thank you!

I don't pay much attention to the temp of the lye solution before I add it to the oils. I put my crockpot on high when melting oils. If a soap doesn't have milk in it, I'll cook it on high, if it has milk I'll cook it on low to keep it whiter. I like to cook my soap hot, but if you do it that way, do NOT walk away from the crockpot.

I always use Low in my crockpot when I melt oils. My quite old crockpot tends to run pretty even at the low setting. So I learned that using the high setting was just too hot. In fact, I don't ever use the high setting for HP because the low setting is more than hot enough.

So it may depend on your specific crockpot. I 'hear' or rather, have read that newer crockpots are more reliable for heat control, but I can't really say since I still use the same 2 crockpots that have been in my kitchen for going on 25 years.

Back