HP superfat with grapeseed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anglezarke

Reaction score
Hi. I understand that grapeseed oil isn't great in the main soap, however I know that is a popular base for aromatherapy. I am thinking of making a batch of soap at 0-1percent superfat and cooking to gel, then adding in 2 to 3percent grapeseed along with scent oils. Thoughts appreciated as ever :)

I should add - there will be zero grapeseed in the base mix, it will only be added at gel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't. Saponified oil would have a better chance of lasting longer than as a SF after the cook. You can certainly try it. Might have DOS before it's even cured or shortly thereafter.

I agree with shunt2011. Adding oils with a short shelf life after the cook may cause DOS. If you decide to try it, you might also add some ROE.

Some lovely people have been helping me with a grapeseed neem soap just a few days ago.. If you're interested in their advice the post is in the feedback section :)

I also HP.

Don't be scared of low shelf life oils. Just don't use too too much of it in one soap and use proper containers for making and storing your soap and you should be good.
There's a lot of posts regarding "helping to prevent" DOS around the forum, if you search

Vitamin E is not effective against rancidity (DOS) in soap. An antioxidant that has been proven to work in soap is rosemary oleoresin (ROE).

Latest posts

Back