HP Soaping - adding milk after cook?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that original post, the creator explained in the comments section why you can add the dairy at the end of the cook when someone asked her. I reserve 20% of my fluid for after the cook in the form of heavy cream, coconut milk, etc. warmed up, with a little sodium lactate and honey (don't want to add cold milk/additives to hot soap). Even after a year, no traces of spoilage in my bars of HP soap.
Hi there complexions, I’m wondering if you have used dried milk in liquid soap making at all. I really like making the liquid and I recently added dried milk into hot water and it looks good, but the next day I noticed a little ring of fat on the top of the soap 🤭 would the fat in the milk have caused this do you think 🤔
I’d appreciate any pointers
Ps
I used mostly coconut oil and a 1/4 olive oil.

regards

Colette

Hi there complexions, I’m wondering if you have used dried milk in liquid soap making at all. I really like making the liquid and I recently added dried milk into hot water and it looks good, but the next day I noticed a little ring of fat on the top of the soap 🤭 would the fat in the milk have caused this do you think 🤔
I’d appreciate any pointers
Ps
I used mostly coconut oil and a 1/4 olive oil.

regards

Colette

Hi Colette,

Sorry, I have not used any milk in liquid soap making. You could use milk during the cook part, but not for the dilution as it will spoil. I have linked Alaiyna's blog post on making liquid soap with goat milk. That could be a good starting point for you to experiment with!

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/04/tutorial-how-to-create-liquid-goats.html

4 oz of yogurt seems like way too much. I use 1tbs ppo. Not sure if other use more or not.
I still, to this day, remember that failed soap batch. It was my very first HP batch ever, I didn't have a stick blender, nor even a hand blender! I was trying out using mango puree, and the soap gods only know why on EARTH I was even attempting to make soap at almost 10 at night, after trying to cook it almost all afternoon on a stove that used propane.
@earlene was so kind in running it through the soap calculator for me. I'm pretty sure I'd done it, but again, how in the world did I get those amounts?!
@Kcryss as for the amount of yogurt I used, I think the most significant part of my recipe is the fact that I wasn't even near the right amount of lye I needed to turn what I had into soap. A 1/4 cup of yogurt is about 4 tbsp of yogurt, and I had about over 1 lb of pills. So maybe it was a bit too much of a good thing. In the end, I did make soap that was really bubbly and mild, it did dissolve quite quickly, but everyone that tried it loved the way it left their skin. Nowadays, I do use 1 tbs per lb of oil when I make my Soleseif bars, simply because I like the way it counters the effect of the salt. The suds are out of this world, and the silkiness of the skin while you're using it is exactly the way it feels after you dry off. Or so I'm told by the friends and family that I've given them to. It's an interesting combination.

Hi Colette,

Sorry, I have not used any milk in liquid soap making. You could use milk during the cook part, but not for the dilution as it will spoil. I have linked Alaiyna's blog post on making liquid soap with goat milk. That could be a good starting point for you to experiment with!

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/04/tutorial-how-to-create-liquid-goats.html
Thanks complexion s
I actually heated up the soap again and the fat actually floated on top. I’m delighted with the realisation that too much fat can be removed
The remaining soap is perfect with no extra fat

Latest posts

Back