HP soap and EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoiPoloi

Reaction score
Was curious about you Hot Process people out there. I LOVE and am now totally addicted to HPing soap. I personally don't like tons of scent in my soap so I tend to stay on the lighter side when adding my EOs after the cook. This morning, after I brushed my teeth (yes that is important information,LOL) I happened by my stash in the basement and went in for the sniff. I smelled NOTHING in all my soaps!!! UGH, what the heck? All the scent disappeared in all my soaps at the same time? How?? After my toothpaste flavor in my mouth disappeared, the scents of my soaps came back. Amazing, right??? HAHA!! But that lead to my question of how much scents to other people add to their HP soap? I did a search on the forum and either I searched wrong or couldn't find much on the topic.... Just curious.

I don't make a ton of HP and I use mainly FO's but I use the same amount in HP as I do in CP. I hear you can use less but I've not found that to be the case. It always seems like some of the FO/EO burns off when mixed in, even if the soap is allowed to cool some.
The EO's I do use, I use at .50oz PPO.

My experience has been that the "half as much" rule mostly applies. I use .5oz PPO in my hot process bath soap, and get about the same final amount of scent as 1oz PPO in cold process. It does seem to matter which oils, though. I think some some oils are more vulnerable to the heat of HP and some to the saponification process/curing time of CP.

Citrus essential oils are the most delicate of the ones that I've used, but I think that's true of just about any potential use. Lemon and sweet orange seem to last the shortest, lime and bergamot the longest. I'm still experimenting with Blood Orange.

Anise, cedar, lavender, and lavandin all stuck quite well. Litsea, too.

I haven't bit the bullet and tried any absolutes, the more expensive floral EOs, or absolute dilutions so I don't know about those.

Latest posts

Back