Hp soap after a week still soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotini22284

Reaction score
Hi! A week before I made a hp batch that till now, while it is hard in general when you squeeze it, it is really soft like plasteline... I don't know what went wrong. I measured correctly the ingredients and I used olive oil, palm kernel oil, sweet almond oil and bees wax. I am from Greece and right now the temperature is at 31 degrees C. Could that be a reason why?

sorry for my english

Hi Fotini
Welcome to the forum! I have HP soaps that are over a month old and are still squeezable because of the types of oils I used. Can you post your recipe?

If you are keeping your soaps in a warm.environment that can make your soaps soft. Try and keep your soaps in a place under 26°C (80°F) or if you didn't add enough hard oils that can do it to. Definitely post the recipe so we can help you out :)

I find they dry fastest on a ventilated shelf spaced a few inches apart..( don't try using a fan on them, I did and they really shrunk up funny looking) :crazy:

I don't think the heat should be keeping your soap that soft after a week. I'm going to guess too much liquid was used - but we can't tell you that unless you tell us the recipe and percentages.

I think it may be okay. I have upped the superfat in winter and summer here. In summer with high humidity it can take longer, sometimes winter with just the OO (That means olive oil). I think the softer oils are the issue, and whatever superfat level you used. The OO and Almond Oil are soft, and if or not using full water, the oils and superfatting level can take longer to cure, especially if poured into silicone or plastic molds. Just give it some time and the soap should be okay, just take longer.

Hope this made sense. :)

The OO and Almond Oil are soft, and if or not using full water, the oils and superfatting level can take longer to cure, especially if poured into silicone or plastic molds. Just give it some time and the soap should be okay, just take longer.

Am I reading this right? If you use less water it takes longer to cure?

I think mel z meant to say if you're using full water, it takes longer to cure.

I agree with the other people about the type of oils and too much water but I'd like to see the recipe to be able to say more about this issue.

@ fotini22284 -

Your English is fine. :thumbup:

Thank you Hazel, yes I meant if you use full water it takes longer to cure, at least with Castile it does, so I guess if using mostly soft oils it is the same.

fotini can you post your recipe? Grams of oil, type of lye, grams of lye, grams of water for us to see?

Sorry for my late answer.... Problem solved!!! Finally!!!!! I changed them room so more airy enviroment all day and now my babies are fine!!!! My recipe, as many asked was 600gr olive oil, 150 gr. palm kernel oil, 150gr coconut oil and 50gr. almond oil, for fragrance I used cacao and a piece of black chocolate and half batch and vanilla extract and black pepper es. oil , plus 300ml of water and 127gr NaOH for 9-10% superfat.... Thanks again and I'm really sorry for not answering back!!!!

Not a problem about taking awhile to reply. Everyone understands about busy times in the real world. :lol: I'm glad you got the problem solved.

Back