HP shave soap EO problem/question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vyadha

Reaction score
Hi all
I made a two pound batch of songwinds shave soap with a little tweak
52% stearic
43% coconut
5% Shea

I did not add any glycerin and did the two part saponification method that DeeAnna explains.

I added 28 grams of EOs after it had cooked for 20 min and letting it cool for 20 minutes.
3 grams peppermint
5 grams bergamot
8 grams rosemary
12 grams lavender

This was on Sunday, now te soap smells like peppermint and only peppermint.
I lathered some up and still, only peppermint. Any ideas on why the other EOs aren't coming through?

"...Any ideas on why the other EOs aren't coming through? ..."

Because peppermint easily overwhelms any other scent. Peppermint is roughly 10% of your blend -- that's actually quite a lot if you don't want peppermint to be the dominant scent.

Did you do a trial beforehand to see what blend would give you a well rounded scent? If it were me, I'd guess the peppermint should be 0.5 part to 1 part in 28, if I were making a blend with a strong peppermint.

I have used this blend in my shave soap:
10 g lavender
5 g rosemary
1 g wild mint

That would be 1.75 parts in 28 if you scaled this blend up to the amounts you used. The wild mint (aka Japanese mint) I used is milder than peppermint, but it is still less % than the peppermint in your blend.

I've used that same formula for aftershaves and like it. I'm pretty surprised that the peppermint came out so strong in the soap.

Still smells nice even though it's one dimensional. Thanks for the insight.
I guess this means I get to make another batch

"...I've used that same formula for aftershaves and like it...."

Not sure what's in your aftershave formulation, but I'm guessing that the scent of the other ingredients in the aftershave may affect your perception of the mint. If there's alcohol in the aftershave, for example, the alcohol odor will alter the scent profile. The mint may also evaporate off more quickly if there's alcohol in the product (just a guess here!) The scent after the product dries down may seem to be less minty because there really is less mint on the skin.

Also you may also find the intensity of the mint in the soap may mellow with time. It might be worth it to evaluate the scent for the next several weeks.

I have had a few soaps where at first peppermint was all I smelled. A week or two later and they balanced out. Give it some time, it might come around.

Thanks! The aftershave has perfumers alcohol in it so there is no scent but I'm sure the evaporation has a lot to do with it.

It's sitting in the drying rack and I'll check it as it cures.

EG, the soap was 119 degrees when I added the EOs.

I don't mind waitin to see if it changes.

Give us a follow-up report??? I would enjoy hearing your feedback on this -- very curious.

I will, DeeAnna. Ill lather some up today and see if there's a change. I think I should have some friends smell it and see what they pick up on.

I will, DeeAnna. Ill lather some up today and see if there's a change. I think I should have some friends smell it and see what they pick up on.

That's what I do, I use other people to smell my blends, I noticed that when I do the blending I lose all sense of smell. Its almost as if my nose gets confused.:crazy:

Put some coffee beans (or a bit of ground coffee) in a cup or small bowl. Smell the coffee (pun intended!) to refresh your nose. It will help a lot.

Thanks for the coffee tip. I've never used a lot of scents. I've got my go to's and that's it.
Now, do you all know a way to clear my palate after 4 or 5 different bourbons? After the first two they all taste great.

The peppermint smell has faded quite a bit though there is a prominent sweetness. It's not cloyingly sweet and the herbaceous-ness (herbacity?) barely comes through. I prefer more rosemary but this works for now.

Can't help ya on the bourbon, but I hear your pain. :) I'm glad to hear the peppermint is becoming less demanding!

So the soap is smelling pretty good. It is still peppermint heavy until I lather it. Once lathered, the lavender really comes through and even the rosemary is there. It makes for lightly scented shave which is what I prefer with my shave soaps.

I think I like the shea formula better than the lanolin.

Thanks all

Back