Hp retaining smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regansoap

Reaction score
Hi everybody hope you are all well.

Just another little question. I made some hp soap last week it came out reasonably well smelled beautiful of lavender and lemon - I put it to cure and had a little sniff and the smell seems to have completely dissappear - is that what happens if you put fo in when it's too hot? Is that it now pretty soap no smell do any of you soap brainiacs have any suggestions as to how I can save it or shall I just leave it.

I'm a far way off from a brainiac, although there are some pretty awesome ones on here :)... But I do a good amount of HP, and yes, if you soap very warm, some FOs with a lower flash point can evaporate. If it's not a particularly low flash point, in my experience, the scent will probably come back during cure.

I think it actually has to do more with the boiling point of the FO/EO and not the flash point itself.

Flash point is the temperature at which there is enough flammable organic vapor in the air above the liquid where it can ignite. Some things like isopropyl alcohol have a flash point of only 53 F but the boiling point is all the way at 180 F. Some things are also more flammable than others which means it take alot less of that stuff to vaporize and cause it to flash.

As far as the scent goes in the soap, there are a few things that could've happened:

1. Yes, you can soap too hot. It does happen. I try to be down to at least 140 F when I soap. Some FOs are more heat sensitive and you have to play with it. Its happened to me before that I've soaped too hot and lost my FO. :(

2. As Stacy says, you can have scents come back after some time. This is common in CP but, it can happen in HP too. It's happened to me with lavender EO.

3. After soaping a scent hot and smelling it for an evening you may be desensitized to it. Don't smell the soap for a while and see if you notice it better. Ok, This happens to me all the time when I HP and even in CP.

I hope this helps!

Oh I forgot to mention, yes, TEG is totally on the ball there! I add my FO at around 140 but, I pour (glop) at no less than 130. Otherwise its just too thick. Every recipe is different though. Stacy said in another thread that she pours at 110 so it can definitely change.

Yes, MLP, I do stay in the 110 range. It's still fluid enough that I can do a 2 color ITP swirl, or a quick hanger swirl, but once in the mold, it sets up fairly quickly
I never thought of the nose...lol... mine isn't very sensitive, so I tend to over pour FOs, but I always stay in the recommended usage.

Back