HP rebatch to increase the superfat/moisturization?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaL

Reaction score
I was just wondering if this is possible. This was my first batch of HP soap. My 8 year old daughter wanted to make soap but did not like the idea of waiting 2 months before she could use it. It was a 100% coconut oil at 10% super fat. But it was entirely too drying. I hoped I could rebatch and add jojoba oil or another luxury oil to help it moisturize more. I just don't know if the soap will be too soft or even slimy.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as she is very upset with the outcome (As am I)

100% coconut oil soap needs a SF of 20%. You need to add 10% more of some kind of oil, I would use OO or coconut so the high amount doesn't cause any rancidity issues.

HP need to cure at least 4 weeks just like CP does. I know there is info all over the internet that says otherwise but its misinformed info. 100% coconut soap would be better with a extra long cure, I like at least 4 months for mine.

handmade soap need patience, young soap just isn't good no matter how you make it. Maybe you could try a high quality M&P base. Brambleberry has some nice kits that would be fun for a youngster and the soap would be ready immediately.

Thanks for the input!
I had it curing for almost 3 weeks(forgot to mention). We broke off a chunk of the ugly end of the cut bars and I washed my hands to see how it turned out. I might just rebatch with OO and see if it's worth saving. Thanks for the info on the kits. I'm sure she would enjoy that much more.

I think I'm sticking to my CP from now on.

It will be worth saving, especially once you rebatch. If it still seems drying, tuck it away and let it cure for a good long while.

Latest posts

Back