HP Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions. 1) how do you know the soap is cool enough to add your fragrance?? 2) I CP my soaps and cure them a minimum of 30 days. What is a good rule of thumb for curing for HP soap?? 3) My soap in the crock pot looks like "fluffy" mash potatos. Is that because I am stirring it too much? And 4) I am all confused on the SF oils added at the end of the process. Is this a hard rule to use or just add all of my oils at once and complete the hp steps? Thanks for any help you can give me. Kathie

I rarely make HP, but I think I follow the standard way most folks use...

I take it out of the crockpot to cool before adding in my FO. I use a thermometer to check the temperature and add my FO in when it is below the flash point of the FO. Flash points vary; you'll want to check it with your supplier.

I cure my HP for at least six weeks since they have a higher water content. Initially when I try out a recipe, I weigh a bar every week. When it stops losing significant weight, I consider that my cure time is over. For me, it is never less than four weeks for CP or HP.

SFing at the end is totally up to you. I do it to preserve all the goodness of a particular, fancy oil (like jojoba in my shaving recipe). You don't have to do this if you don't want to.

Sorry I'm not sure of the fluffy mashed potato answer...

Back