HP in the Micorwave

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eucalypta

Reaction score
I promised to do a photo tutorial, but haven't found the time yet. So for starters, please find the written tutorial below. I think that it speaks for itself, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
A note: the time needed depends on the used oils. An all olive soap requires a lot more time than a formula containing a lot of solid oils and butters.

HPitMW - 500 grams oil batch (or 1 pound)

Step 1:
microwave: set the power level to half.
Step 2:
- Measure and melt the solid oils and butters.
- Using half power, melt the oils for ca 2 minutes, stirring afterwards until they are (mostly) melted.
- Then stir in the remaining liquid oils.
Step 3:
Prepare lye solution; use full water (standard setting in SoapCalc).
No need to let the lye solution cool!
Step 4:
Mix lye (SB) into the oils and continue mixing until heavy trace. (further stickblending is impossible)
The first time you try this process, watch your soap carefully, as each MW cooks differently. (Once you're familiar with the process, you might want to adjust the MW settings according to your findings.)
Step 5:
Put the container in the MW.
Start with 2 minutes
Stir the soap (manually, with a spatula or spoon)
Step 6:
- Set the timer again for 2 minutes.
- Check the soap after 1 minute. (just open the door and leave it open until you put your batch back in. Saves resetting the timer constantly.)
After these 4 minutes the soap usually starts rising and bubbling.
As soon as you see it rising high (through the window of the MW) open the door and stir. Continue cooking and stir every time the soap bubbles up.
Step 7:
After 6-8 minutes total (your mileage might vary), the soap will look mostly translucent.
You're done cooking.
Step 8:
Add colour (Or divide and use more colours)
Step 9:
Stir and let it cool down a bit, then add fragance.
Step 10:
Glop into the mould; tap it down to avoid air bubbles.
Let it sit overnight; unmould, cut and enjoy.
You may leave to cure it a bit longer to lose some moisture if necessary.
I use this method primarily to make balls or other embeds for a future soap. Those end up real smooth.
Also, it is a great way to "salvage" a batch that causes soap on a stick, or seizes on you.
You might find it necessary to add some water and use a stickblender, when the soap is really solid, until the batch is smooth.

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks for posting this. I remember you telling me that you would post it and I'm glad to see you followed through. What kind of container do you use microwave safe plastic or Pyrex? And do you cover it?

YW - promised is promised ;)

I use plastic mixing bowls - MW safe of course.

Of course you can use Pyrex, but I don't recommend those for soap and expecially not for lye! They wear out and can break while in the MW or oven, or just standing on the counter (it wil happen eventually, believe me). Plastic is a lot safer, (or stainless steel - not for MW though).

No use in covering; the process doesn't take long and it is more convenient and faster when you need to stir at least every minute.

500 grams of oil is approx. 1.2 pounds or
1 pound oil is 453.592g if you want exact calculations.

If we're going to be exact, 500 grams sooner equals 1,2 pounds. - but in fact is exactly 1.1023 pounds. ;)

In this case, it is not so very important, considering the various powers of microwaves. It just gives an indication of the batch size.

I'm living with a dozen conversion sites on my desktop. :( to be able to follow recipes, usage rates etc.
American table- and tea spoons are a more voluminous than ours; there are differences between fluid oz en dry oz.; °F vs °C, cups and gallons... and fortunately English measurements are different again.
tearing-hair.gif

You should also check out ByrdiJean's youtube videos. She has made some beautiful microwave HP swirled soap.

Yep; cool videos on HPitMW.
It was a very small batch as far as I could see.

I still advise to make a plain/two coloured soap without additives like clay or milk, just to get the hang of it. :)

Back