Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandica2013

Reaction score
Hello everyone :wave: I'm new to soaping & this forum. So I have made Hp/crock-pot 2x and both times chose to use two different colors. The process seemed to go well but even though I know it can be gloppy when putting in mold when I un-molded the 2 layers of color separated on me.Does anyone know what iv done wrong here? It smells so good w/coconut lemongrass F.O from BB. I even double check recipe on Lye Calc. @ BB.It has a nice bubbly creamy lather & no zap feeling on the tongue.....Its a waste huh? IDK? I guess Iv looked @ so many of your soaps on here and they are so beautiful so mine look ugly to me even though I know Hp is a more rustic looking soap. Any help would be wonderful.Thanks....Jessica

SANY0712.jpg

SANY0713.jpg

SANY0714.jpg

SANY0720.jpg

SANY0722.jpg

SANY0711.jpg

I'm so about 2 cry :'( ,Iv been doing so much research (2 yrs.) way before I ever even attempted 2 make soap & I was so excited & really love making my own soaps for many reasons..#1). I am so sick of not knowing whats in my B&B stuff #2).for my family #3) save lots of money in the long run #4). for others to have more natural options #5). I am in so much pain from a spinal fusion surgery gone wrong & can not work so I find this relaxing & can do on my own time & hopefully a way to support my family of 5 in some way even if just a small amount #6). It's a huge stress reliever for me(if it goes right that is) #7). I want to donate to help people like the homeless,breast cancer,army men, Autism research (my 14 yr. old is Autistic) etc.... So when I keep messing up I really feel well like a failure :( I hope to someday be as great as you all are..again thanks for any help!!!

I'd love to be able to help..but I'm very new at this myself and I don't know anything about hot process at all. All I can say is not to be too discouraged - it doesn't look bad at all to me. It kind of reminds me of fudge :)

I think it takes a lot of batches to really get a feel for this and a few batches that don't go as planned are inevitable. Even if it didn't turn out quite as you expected, at least you still have some usable soap for your family.

OHELLO~Thanks so much for replying so quick and the sweet comments :) Your right I'm going to mess up a few,I guess even advanced CP & HP Soaper's mess up batches sometimes 2 because of a EO,FO or color. I guess I am getting discouraged because I have not seemed to get one right and wondered if I even will...I done 2 CP and it was alkaline because are scale was broke and did not know :( they did look pretty though.Thanks again and good luck 2 you on ur soaping journey..I'm NOT giving up yet.

I wouldn't say your first batches are messed up! In fact, to attempt color and layering on your first 2 batches and have it come out at all is pretty impressive. Experiment a little more without colors or layering so you can focus on the process, the amount of water/superfat/oils in your recipe, when and how to get it in the mold, etc. Once you have the basics down then try to incorporate colors, etc.

I'm new at soaping and have only done both hp and cp several times. But I'm just starting to experiment with colors and will do my first layers on a cp batch I'm making this weekend. It takes practice and lots of patience.

I started doing HP in the Crock and after a couple of batches, switched to the double boiler method. MUCH EASIER and the batter 'cooks' quicker, IMO. Your batch looks wonderful, but maybe it was 'cooked' a bit long and was too dry when molding, thus the separation of layers....I had that happen to me a time or to.

Looks like you overcooked it and possibly didn't tamp the mold down enough (when doing HP, you need to slam the mold on the counter to get rid of the air bubbles and to pack it down. My crockpot cooks my soap in about 10-15 minutes, so I'd say just make sure you're not cooking for too long. I do HP exclusively, it's so much fun :3

I don't really do HP (unless you count rebatching a form of it!)

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Your soap looks very nice - cheerful and colorful!

I suspect that layering (and getting the layers to stick together) might be easier with CP. In fact, that's why I do CP - HP has always seemed fussier and more work. I gel my soaps so the time from production to use is not that much greater than if I did HP. You might try CP and see how that works for you.

Hi,

Please don't feel down. The colors are really pretty. Agree with the others about maybe cooking a bit too long and maybe not getting the soap into the molds quick enough.

I used to do HP and I found I had to get the colors and fragrance in and stirred up super quick and get it in the mold fast or it would harden. And like other poster said, slam the molds HARD on the counter or table several times (wear your goggles!).

It's sweet and noble of you to want to give your earnings to good causes. I have a son with autism, too. He's 8.

I am new to and I am on my 11th batch of soap. My first batch of soap was a simple OO/Coconut with BBerry Lemongrass EO and it turned out perfect, divine smell and lather. Since then, there has been something I didn't like about every batch - smell wasn't strong enough, smell was off, titanium oxide didn't blend and left streaks, spotting/discoloration etc. It's still good, usable soap however! One batch that was really discolored so I grated up, mixed it with a little Borax and I use it as laundry soap - it’s great soap.

The thing is you learn something with every batch. I used to beat it way beyond thin trace because I wasn’t sure if it was tracing so I kept going until it was practically solid! :) I exaggerate but just keep making it and take notes. Also cost is an issue - soap making can be an expensive hobby as it turns out, so I set aside focused time and go really slowly. It sounds like you are already doing lots of reading and research. When trying new scents or EOs I tend to stick to the cheaper ingredients like lard, OO, coconut and soybean.

There are some other great comments – hitting the mold on the counter and not overcooking – swigglz that was good info on how long the soap is in the crockpot because I had been leaving it longer, taking note of that.
Don’t give up! You still have a batch of great smelling soap and the colors are very pretty :)

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Your soap looks very nice - cheerful and colorful!

I suspect that layering (and getting the layers to stick together) might be easier with CP. In fact, that's why I do CP - HP has always seemed fussier and more work. I gel my soaps so the time from production to use is not that much greater than if I did HP. You might try CP and see how that works for you.

I agree with this.
And IMO, one of the things in CP that helps layers adhere to each other (but not the only reason of course) is gelling the soap.
I also agree that HP is much more work and time in production, than CP is. With CP I mix to trace, mold and walk away. With HP I have to "babysit" the batch to make sure it doesn't over heat, doesn't climb up the pot, wait for it to be done cooking, etc, etc. - and then put it in the mold and walk away.

Thanks

I wouldn't say your first batches are messed up! In fact, to attempt color and layering on your first 2 batches and have it come out at all is pretty impressive. Experiment a little more without colors or layering so you can focus on the process, the amount of water/superfat/oils in your recipe, when and how to get it in the mold, etc. Once you have the basics down then try to incorporate colors, etc.

I'm new at soaping and have only done both hp and cp several times. But I'm just starting to experiment with colors and will do my first layers on a cp batch I'm making this weekend. It takes practice and lots of patience.

kazmi~Thank you so much for the sweet comment, sometimes you need someone else opinion to see that you are not so bad after all :)I agree I need to slow down and do the basic recipe without color and see if I can time it and get it in the mold faster.

Good luck on adding colors & layers to your soaps,after that many batches I'm sure they will be beautiful..I would love to see them if you don't mind when your done? I love seeing others work of art!

Jessy :)

I started doing HP in the Crock and after a couple of batches, switched to the double boiler method. MUCH EASIER and the batter 'cooks' quicker, IMO. Your batch looks wonderful, but maybe it was 'cooked' a bit long and was too dry when molding, thus the separation of layers....I had that happen to me a time or to.

layserbrat~maybe I will give that a try and thanks so much for the nice comment :) and great tips...I do think it was one of the 2 things either cooked 2 long or maybe I was spending 2 much time mixing in colors and it started to harden on me??? Next time maybe a batch without color on stove top w/double boiler?? I might just do CP instead even know the wait is hard..I think I like the look of CP better IMO...Thanks again...

Jessy :)

Looks like you overcooked it and possibly didn't tamp the mold down enough (when doing HP, you need to slam the mold on the counter to get rid of the air bubbles and to pack it down. My crockpot cooks my soap in about 10-15 minutes, so I'd say just make sure you're not cooking for too long. I do HP exclusively, it's so much fun :3

squigglz~ I agree with you,I'm thinking that & I spent 2 much time mixing those 2 colors in??? Thanks for the info this will help me so much.Next batch NO color and hurry up and mold...then slam(I did do that) and push down hard. I may just do CP I think I love the look better though waiting is no fun but I'm sure well worth the wait :)

I'm thinking your right & I'm thinking of maybe doing CP next time...thanks for the comment :)I'm loving this forum,so much!! Way better then this "mom" forum I'm on' the ladies are so mean and start stuff for no reason because their bored with their life or just bullies..I think they call them "trolls" lol I'm just grateful this forum is not like that @ all and you all really helped me in my new soaping journey..
journey..Thanks!!!

Hi,

Please don't feel down. The colors are really pretty. Agree with the others about maybe cooking a bit too long and maybe not getting the soap into the molds quick enough.

I used to do HP and I found I had to get the colors and fragrance in and stirred up super quick and get it in the mold fast or it would harden. And like other poster said, slam the molds HARD on the counter or table several times (wear your goggles!).

It's sweet and noble of you to want to give your earnings to good causes. I have a son with autism, too. He's 8.

Awe thank you so much! I am just so Amazed how helpful and nice you all are,thank you! I think you are so right and I'm thinking of just doing CP for now just till IV been doing this a while more.
I just feel I need to help in some way down the road in some way,I'v had help in my life and I wanna help others..I wanna pay it forward :) plus I really do not have help for my son where I live & my husband (not his Bio Dad but been here since he was 2mths old) has lost several jobs because he has had to leave work to "calm" down my son @ school or take him home. Their is no special school for his needs(he is on an IEP) nor a daycare so beside my bad back one of us has to stay home so I'm wanting to do something to help other parents down the line.My son is the best thing that's ever happened to me he makes me smile every day but he has had bad days when he throws these horrible fits @ school but never @ home and they just do not know what to do!! So their is alot of reasons I wanna do something to help :)Sorry for the rambling...

I am new to and I am on my 11th batch of soap. My first batch of soap was a simple OO/Coconut with BBerry Lemongrass EO and it turned out perfect, divine smell and lather. Since then, there has been something I didn't like about every batch - smell wasn't strong enough, smell was off, titanium oxide didn't blend and left streaks, spotting/discoloration etc. It's still good, usable soap however! One batch that was really discolored so I grated up, mixed it with a little Borax and I use it as laundry soap - it’s great soap.

The thing is you learn something with every batch. I used to beat it way beyond thin trace because I wasn’t sure if it was tracing so I kept going until it was practically solid! :) I exaggerate but just keep making it and take notes. Also cost is an issue - soap making can be an expensive hobby as it turns out, so I set aside focused time and go really slowly. It sounds like you are already doing lots of reading and research. When trying new scents or EOs I tend to stick to the cheaper ingredients like lard, OO, coconut and soybean.

There are some other great comments – hitting the mold on the counter and not overcooking – swigglz that was good info on how long the soap is in the crockpot because I had been leaving it longer, taking note of that.
Don’t give up! You still have a batch of great smelling soap and the colors are very pretty :)

Thank you for the great info and I agree with you all..I do make my own laundry soap but not yet used my own soap so I'm thinking I will :)ty. No waste of a great smelling soap ehh...I'm honestly thinking of doing just CP till I get better plus I'm thinking I like the look better anyhow.And no giving up here just really was so flustered till I read all your comments and realized how hard I was being on myself!! I tend to do that in life in general sometimes...thanks again can't wait to get to know you and see some of your creations and learn from each other...Jessy

I agree with this.
And IMO, one of the things in CP that helps layers adhere to each other (but not the only reason of course) is gelling the soap.
I also agree that HP is much more work and time in production, than CP is. With CP I mix to trace, mold and walk away. With HP I have to "babysit" the batch to make sure it doesn't over heat, doesn't climb up the pot, wait for it to be done cooking, etc, etc. - and then put it in the mold and walk away.

I def agree with you! I'm really thinking it's CP for now,I love the look it gives. I like a more neater look then HP,I However seen some really nice HP I just think CP is more for me.And even though you can use your HP right away you should still cure it so really its a mater of a couple of weeks to get a great looking soap with less fuss and worry :)Thanks

I just feel I need to help in some way down the road in some way,I'v had help in my life and I wanna help others..I wanna pay it forward :) plus I really do not have help for my son where I live & my husband (not his Bio Dad but been here since he was 2mths old) has lost several jobs because he has had to leave work to "calm" down my son @ school or take him home. Their is no special school for his needs(he is on an IEP) nor a daycare so beside my bad back one of us has to stay home so I'm wanting to do something to help other parents down the line.My son is the best thing that's ever happened to me he makes me smile every day but he has had bad days when he throws these horrible fits @ school but never @ home and they just do not know what to do!! So their is alot of reasons I wanna do something to help :)Sorry for the rambling...

Right there with ya on this! I haven't been able to work either, due to my son's behavior. A couple of months ago we had to take him out of school and homeschool again because he utterly refused to go to school and I had been having to drop him off everyday crying. Just couldn't do that anymore. This time I'm homeschooling for good. No more school!

I try to help other families with children with autism as often as I can. I know I've needed help so many times. I like to help directly.

Anyway, hope your soapmaking gets better and better!!

squigglz~ I agree with you,I'm thinking that & I spent 2 much time mixing those 2 colors in??? Thanks for the info this will help me so much.Next batch NO color and hurry up and mold...then slam(I did do that) and push down hard. I may just do CP I think I love the look better though waiting is no fun but I'm sure well worth the wait :)

Could be. What kind of colorant did you use? I generally use oxides dispersed in oil. As long as you don't overcook/overstir it during the heating process (I don't stir it at all, generally, aside from maybe folding it once if it needs it), adding colorant shouldn't impede the process at all :)

I don't do CP because I don't like having to worry about insulating, ash, stuff like that. It's too fussy for me.

Back