HP Hemp Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misera

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I finally ordered some Palm Oil (RSPO) because my husband is still in love with a recipe we used during a CP class so I made a Hemp Oil soap. Recipe:

25% Coconut oil
15% Hemp Oil
30% Palm Oil
25% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil
32% Water as a percent of oil weight
Super fat 5%
1/4 cup of ground/powdered oatmeal
Hot processed but oils all combined in the beginning. Cooked for about an hour after trace on low in a crockpot. No raw soap left, all bubbled.

No zap, pH ~7-8, after 12 hours it's already fully hardened in the mold so I cut it. However, the test wash I did was quite drying. It bubbled like crazy so maybe I don't need the extra castor oil but can you guys think of what's causing the dryness? I lowered the coconut oil percentage from a standard recipe I found online for hemp oil soap. I'm wondering if it'll get any better over time? I know my CP soaps do and at 6 months they're amazing and so different but this was HP this time. I have a crap ton of hemp oil I need to use so I wanted to get it saponified quick.

Edit: Qualities:
Hardness 40, Cleansing 17, Conditioning 56, Bubbly 22, Creamy 28, Iodine 69, INS 145.
Laruic 12, Myristic 5, Palmitic 20, Stearic 3, Ricinoleic 5, Oleic 33, Linoleic 15, Linolenic 3.
2 pound oil batch.

CAM04190.jpg

CAM04191.jpg

CAM04184.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking soap. PH testing on soap is not accurate. The normal ph of handmade soap will be 8-`12.

As for your soap being drying you may want to give it a cure and try it again. However, with 25% CO I would have SF'd it at 7-8% and with HP would have added my SF after the cook. Some folks are good with a higher CO content though so it's not wrong.

I would just give it a good cure and see if you like it better. Bet you will.

Very nice looking soap. PH testing on soap is not accurate. The normal ph of handmade soap will be 8-`12.

As for your soap being drying you may want to give it a cure and try it again. However, with 25% CO I would have SF'd it at 7-8% and with HP would have added my SF after the cook. Some folks are good with a higher CO content though so it's not wrong.

I would just give it a good cure and see if you like it better. Bet you will.

Ok! Will do :) I love my CP soaps that have cured for half a year+. They were ok at 6 weeks, amazing at half a year. Though I still don't see how people say handmade soaps last longer. They're still melting just as fast as store bought ones lol. Maybe I just use too much soap. I usually SF between 6-8 and am not really sure why I picked 5 this time. I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to add it after the cook because of DOS concerns with hemp oil but I guess I could've just straight up added almond oil/avocado oil to the mix. Guess with HP if I'm going to be using them sooner than later I shouldn't worry too much about DOS anyway right? Thanks for the feedback!!

It also depends on your oils. From the unofficial tests that I have done with friends and family, you can use higher amounts of coconut oil with tallow and lard, than you can with plants oils. Plant oils -- anecdotally speaking -- are not very conditioning despite what soapcalc tells you. Some of my most praised soaps for being "not drying" and "conditioning" have a conditioning value of 40 (below recommended) on soapcalc. It's just something you'll have to experiment with, so hopefully you make small batches and know a lot of people that can help you use it up and give you feedback! :)

It also depends on your oils. From the unofficial tests that I have done with friends and family, you can use higher amounts of coconut oil with tallow and lard, than you can with plants oils. Plant oils -- anecdotally speaking -- are not very conditioning despite what soapcalc tells you. Some of my most praised soaps for being "not drying" and "conditioning" have a conditioning value of 40 (below recommended) on soapcalc. It's just something you'll have to experiment with, so hopefully you make small batches and know a lot of people that can help you use it up and give you feedback! :)

Hmm well one recipe that I made with 31% coconut oil also had a lot of shea and cocoa butter so it was draggy at 6 weeks but very nice now. It was never drying though. The rest of my recipes I kept coconut at 20%. I guess I'll go back down to 20% from now on! I make my batches in 2-3.5 pounds to eliminate measuring problems and to not waste too much in case it doesn't work out. Luckily all of them have worked out and everyone seems to like the soaps! I definitely have a lot of people testing all my soap out for me ;D

Just wanted to update, it still is a bit drying so going to wait a couple more weeks. Rock hard though. If still drying after 6 weeks, then half a year in the closet to see what happens!

Latest posts

Back