HP help! Soap cracking during cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtobeamom

Reaction score
Hi,
I hope someone can help. I've had two batches do this recently after many, many batches not doing it. My soap is fine after it comes out of the mold and when I cut. But, I noticed twice already during a period of about 2 weeks the soap starts to form little cracks. Then, after a period of time the cracks spread and I can pull the soap apart in the crack. The soap doesn't crumble or feel dry it still feels soft(like it needs to cure a bit longer) but just cracks and falls apart at the seam where the crack has formed. Any ideas about why this might be happening? I do had salt to make a harder bar, could that be it? Humidity? I have no idea.

Can you post your recipe and how much salt you are using ppo? That would be of tremendous help in helping us to troubleshoot for you.

IrishLass :)

Sure.
Avocado Oil 13%
Castor oil 5%
Coconut Oil 25%
Cocoa Butter 12%
Olive oil 45%

Salt 3tsp for 3.5 pounds of oils.
Water 38%
Superfat at 6%

I put it in the freezer after it finished cooking in the crockpot.

I'm not sure whether this is related to the cracking but why do you put it in the freezer?

How thick are you cutting your bars? Also, that soap should be pretty rock solid after a few days cure using that amount of CO and CB so Im not sure why you are using that much salt..that could be part of the problem. Are you using a different type of salt by any chance?

Try making another batch just the same and omit the salt and see if it cracks

Back