HP (crockpot) coconut soap chunks in my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaya

Reaction score
I tried HP soap for the first time today and the end result is definitely not what I was expecting!

I added coconut oil to my lye water and left for it to get to gel stage
I then removed the pot from the crock pot and let it cool down a bit (from 60 degrees c to around 40 degrees c) and added avocado oil, eo and other liquids.

the coconut oil/lye mix turned into small chunks of soap which when I scooped into the mold - you can see bits of coconut soap within the main soap.

I think it's supposed to be all blended in. Was I meant to blend the mix again after I added all the ingredients? (I tried mixing it with spoon but it wasn't having any of it) was the mixture too cool? :confused:

when I poured the liquids in, I could see all the bubbles coming out from the coconut! and then had chunks of coconut soap in the liquid mix.

I couldn't really stir it for too long because it was difficult to manage and it was very clumpy.
is 40 degrees c too cold? should I have added all the other ingredients at 60 degrees c? (I read that eos need to be added at a cooler temperature.)

I'm sorry! thanks for your help :) the coconut oil / lye mix was left in the crock pot to cook for an hour and it was set on low.

coconut oil
lye/distilled water
avocado oil added at gel stage
few drops of eo
aloe juice

would it be best to melt the whole thing again, blend mix it and pour in the mold?

and yes I did bring it to trace before cooking it! i did keep stirring it during the whole hour - maybe i should have left it to do it's own thing? after an hour it had a nice shiny / Vaseline texture, as soon as i took it off the crockpot, the coconut started to solidify

- the avocado oil was at room temperature
- the juice was cold!

should i have warmed these up a bit??

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think 40 C was too cold, then you added room temp/ cold stuff. That made it even more difficult to stir and mix.

You should add your extra oils and juice when its still in the crock and hot (70-75 C) then you can cool it to about 60 C to add the EO or FO.

Back