HP Batch Fail - HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjosedave

Reaction score
I "made" the attached recipe today (see Recipe2.jpg). I carefully measured the oils and placed them in the crock pot which was on low. I waited until all the solid oils had melted and then poured the lye water in. Everything looked good at that point. I immersed the stick blender and turned it on low and in less than 10 seconds the batch went from liquid to fully congealed. By the time I got my cell phone out of my pocket to take a picture it had also started doing a foamy bubbling thing around the edges of the crock pot (see IMG3743.jpg). As I watched in amazement the batch continued to froth and grow to the point of overflowing the crock pot. The consistency was like meringue (see IMG3749.jpg).

Any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Recipe2.jpg
    Recipe2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3743.JPEG
    IMG_3743.JPEG
    153.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3749.JPEG
    IMG_3749.JPEG
    175.4 KB · Views: 14
How high was the heat setting? I can't read the recipe, the writing is too small for my old eyes, even when I expand the screen shot.

briskly stirring the soap when it starts to climb out of the cook pot subdues overheating
you could also start with less added heat for this recipe
without stirring the crock pot is too small for the amount of heat added

The recipe from sanjosedaves image
32 ounces oil
2:1 liquid:lye ratio
5% superfat

53.85% shea butter
15.38% palm kernal oil
18.46% castor
12.31% coconut 76

The oils had been in the crock pot set on low for over an hour before I poured the lye water in so they were probably up around 180F - 200F by then. The lye water was around 85F (ambient). I did immediately try to stir the pot when it started started bubbling over but to no avail. Better image of recipe attached.

I will try again with the oils at the minimum temperature to stay in liquid form.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Attachments

• Recipe2a.jpg
    Recipe2a.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 13
Thats what is called a volcano and a spectacular one at that.

Definitely from overheating. What I do with HP is melt my oils in the microwave, add to the crock, turn crock on and add lye.

I use just enough heat to force the soap to the gel stage. If it seems to be overheating, I'll turn the crock off.
Since it hold heat for such a long time, it will continue to cook.

180-200 generally causes volcanos. your crockpot should be no less than 3 times the height of your batter if you are going to soap that hot. If you start stirring it down (with a spatula) before its halfway to the top you should be ok. Stick blending will bring on volcanos during the cook as well.

If you are new to soaping try keeping the temp around 170-180 until your comfortable with the volcanoes and controlling them.

I remade the recipe with the oils at 125F when I added the lye water which was at 122F. It blended well and is cooking now with no problems.

Thank you everyone.

Latest posts

Back