HP and adding yogurt, DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I have been making HP soap for quite some time, but recently learned that you could make it more fluid, and hence do color swirls, by adding yogurt to the soap after your process. I am concerned by this because if the yogurt is added after the saponification process, what is preventing it from getting moldy or DOS?

Has anyone tried this method? Are these soaps more likely to get DOS? What keeps them from getting moldy?

Yes, I have added yogurt to HP soap. In my experience, with my formulas it does not make the soap exceptionally more fluid. Somewhat, yes, but not extremely so. Perhaps somewhere it is written which brand or type of yogurt might be better, but I have only used plain Greek yogurt because that is the kind I like to eat and the only one my husband won't eat.

As far as mold, I have never had mold in any of my soaps, and I have used yogurt many times. I don't recall DOS being an issue with yogurt soaps specifically, but I cannot say for sure. I do know that the soaps I have had DOS with were generally soaps I made early in soaping using old oils (before I knew better) and some since that included higher percentages of oils more prone to DOS.

People generally add only a small amount of dairy to HP or CP soap, and it's also mixed really well into the soap. That should be fine. The thinking is the higher pH of soap prevents spoilage by inhibiting fungal and bacterial growth if you are sensible about how much you add and how you add it.

We were talking in another recent thread about this same thing -- the idea of adding food additives to soap and whether that could spoil or cause other problems. The general consensus was that fine particles (like puree or finely ground flours) or liquids (dairy, aloe, beer, etc.) mixed well INTO the soap don't cause mold or other problems. Food in big chunks, especially ON the soap, is another story entirely.

Now with liquid soap, the story is a little bit different. The liquid used to dilute the soap really needs to be plain distilled water -- not beer, not milk, not aloe, etc. The reason is that you're going to add a lot of liquid to dilute the soap to a pourable consistency. That can overwhelm the soap's preservative abilities. To minimize the chance of mold and bacterial growth, the added liquid needs to not provide any food for bacteria and fungi to grow.

I soap with a high temp fluid hot process method regularly, and add yogurt at the end of the cook every time. When I add the yogurt, my soap batter is still at around 180 degrees. I stick blend it in, and it does help with fluidity. More specifically, it keeps it fluid for a longer period of time. I have never had DOS in any of my soap, even bars that are well over a year old.

I soap with a high temp fluid hot process method regularly, and add yogurt at the end of the cook every time. When I add the yogurt, my soap batter is still at around 180 degrees. I stick blend it in, and it does help with fluidity. More specifically, it keeps it fluid for a longer period of time. I have never had DOS in any of my soap, even bars that are well over a year old.
How much yogurt do you add may I ask?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back