HP-Adding menthol crystals after the cook?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohunk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried adding diluted menthol crystals after the cook? I'm thinking that would have less menthol burn off and therefore be able to use a lower percentage of menthol in my soap.

I'm looking to enhance the mint coolness factor. I'm thinking of using a lower percentage of menthol, around 2%, and let the nose fool the brain into thinking its a cooling soap.

Any means necessary to help beat this heat. :)

I don't have any menthol crystals (yet) so I can't help you with experience.. I have been wondering about doing the same, so I'm hoping someone will chime in with some experience. And otherwise there's some experimentation in our future! [emoji16]

I've only used menthol in lotion bars and M&P soap and it's great! How much does the menthol burn off in CP? I wonder if you could use M&P embeds with menthol in them in CP soap....the one time I did M&P embeds, their fragrance was bold enough (the contrasting FO in the CP completely disappeared) to totally scent the soap.

Katie at Royalty Soaps made a video using menthol crystals at 1% of the batch oils. She said the menthol was still present and had that cooling effect. So I would think at 2% in HP it would work. Here's a link:

Im going to try this tomorrow, just too hot in the kitchen this morning to OHP. It's not the "rhino hide" I'm concerned about, its the "lady bits" that I am. I may go as high as 3% since its the middle of recommended usage. See how I feel in the morning.

Thanks for the video link.

It's not the "rhino hide" I'm concerned about, its the "lady bits" that I am. I may go as high as 3% since its the middle of recommended usage. .
I made a M&P soap with lavender & mint EOs and Green Mint FO, and menthol. My notes are <ahem> sketchy, but I don't think I used more than a few grams for a 600g loaf. My male friend said he liked the "tingle" (although it was surprising at first...)

Soap Queen uses very little as well: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/menthol-crystal-cold-process-soap/

Finally used the menthol crystals yesterday. I went with 2% ppo. I dissolved the crystals in kukui nut oil. I let the soap cool down some after pulling it out of the oven and then added the menthol/kukui nut oil mixture to the soap. I had very little, what I would call burn off of the menthol. I tried some of the pot scrapings. I had some punctures on my hand and the menthol soap didn't bother them, so I'm not expecting the soap to bother other areas. I used Nurture Soaps Mad about Mint FO. It did what I wanted, the menthol enhanced the FO without overpowering it and fooled my nose/brain into thinking I made a cooling soap.

Back