HP - adding color after cook?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm doing a solid color, I just add it up front to the oils. If I want a swirl of color, after the cook I keep the soap in the pot and do an ITP by adding a few drops of color to different sections of the pot, and stirring each section with a spoon. Then I use a spatula and gently stir the entire pot clockwise two or three times. Here's a photo of an HP one-color swirl I did recently. The color is nettle leaf powder and the soap is fragranced with Spearmint and Lime EOs:

2015-05-03 10.07.59.jpg

I only do a few HP because I cant get to creative, due to the HP process. I find it very limiting. I even tried cooking two pots at the same time:???:

I must be one of the lucky ones... I can, if I don't dilly-dally, do a 3 color itp swirl by taking out the batter I'd like colored, color it, put it back in in 3 different places, then stir it to swirl, and into the mold...if that makes any sense...lol...I seldom take pics as I go, but here's one...it's honeysuckle and berries scent.

10390079_865132066910970_6797104019595603807_n.jpg

I must be one of the lucky ones... I can, if I don't dilly-dally, do a 3 color itp swirl by taking out the batter I'd like colored, color it, put it back in in 3 different places, then stir it to swirl, and into the mold...if that makes any sense...lol...I seldom take pics as I go, but here's one...it's honeysuckle and berries scent.

Very pretty! Looks like you know how to not overcook the soap so that its not too dry to work with.

I don't HP very often, but when I do, I use the following coloring technique that I learned from a fellow soaper named Brenda back in 2006 or so:

For a 2-color swirl, I put a cardboard divider wrapped in freezer paper (that I sized beforehand to fit snugly in my soaping pot) down the center of my pot to divide the cooked batter into 2 separate halves. Then I add a different colorant to each half, stirring well to combine thoroughly.

When done mixing the colorants in, I remove the divider and stir the different colored batters around with a spatula to get a good swirly look.

This method helps to eliminate the drying and hardening problems I use to experience when taking portions of my batter out of the pot to color individually before putting them back in the pot.

I've never done more than a 2-color swirl in HP, but If I remember rightly, Brenda used to do 3 or 4 colored swirls by adding extra dividers.

IrishLass :)

Thanks :) I try. I get zapped a lot along the way...lol...I'm kind of impatient, so I test too early about half the time.

Very pretty! Looks like you know how to not overcook the soap so that its not too dry to work with.

Latest posts

Back