How's your Garden ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2.5 weeks after that pic I posted above and the Spearmint is Crazy. I love it, Green and refreshing. Now if I can stop it from blooming
IMG_20190530_060018958_HDR[1].jpg

Lin, that beautiful green looks so nice. We also have loads of green, but that always happens when it rains incessantly. Well, in fact it starts to happen as soon as the snow melts and the weather starts to heat up and lasts until the next snow start. That's one of the things I found amazing about the mid-West. Coming from California, where green grass only happens if you actually water the grass, it was shock to me to have green all the time and never have to water!

Anyway, all I can say about our garden is that Hubby has to find a window of time without rain, in order to mow, and that's been really tough lately. But he seems to really enjoy mowing, so I suppose it's good we have so much grass to mow! Also all our trees (except the Japanese maple) need trimming big-time. So he's been spending as much time as he can manage trimming tree branches, too. And tracking in mud from his shoes.

Our daffodils are still in bloom, but I think the crocus and glads all got drowned as none of them came up this Spring. I was so sad not to see them.

Yes our "Spring" has been nothing but rain and cool.
You can see the grass next to it, that section gets sun all day from 6am-3-4 pm.
Tell him to cut the grass as HIGH as he can. That way he can mow a lot if he wants ;) and then when the rain stops and there is no rain for long periods, the grass will not burn and dry up.

My neighbors had SOD put in last year and the guy who cuts it cuts SO SO SHORT that he got burn spots on brand new sod. so sad

The grass never burns up or dries up here unless you purposely put some drying chemical onto it. Much too humid here for that. He only sets the mower to high when the grass hasn't been mowed in a long time, like if we've been away on vacation. But it grows so fast here, he has to mow every week. And it takes so long to mow, that he can't mow it on the days he works. One day per week is all he can manage time-wise. Our's is a riding lawn mower, and yes, we mulch the grass. I used to mulch the leaves in compost, but we get so many of those in the Fall, he prefers to fill the garden waste can. They are hard to keep up with in the Fall.

I am now harvesting a few beans and peas, I didn't plant much because I only have 1 raised bed. I pulled my first blushing tomato yesterday, unfortunately it was bug bit, but it is the thought that counts. We relocated the compost bin, so now all the grass clippings and garden waste can contribute to the future garden. I planted more radishes because the first batch didn't germinate well. Since it rained yesterday, I have hundreds of baby radishes. Yummy for future salads! The mint and the parsley is going crazy and the thymes are doing great. I am pulling the last of the fall onions here shortly, and will plant green onions in their place. I am ready to have a yard full of raised beds.

Weather this year makes me glad that I am retired so that I can take advantage of the few non-rainy days to get things in the ground! We have a hoop house for growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, melons and early salad greens so that helps too. Talking about rhubarb, I dug out a bunch of plants and replaced them with a few blueberry bushes this week. Put cages around the new bushes and added chicken wire to the lower half to protect the plants from rabbits. Between the deer, bear and rabbits it is a challenge anymore growing anything other than herbs...

Got my new hillside rhubarb garden planted.
56 plants of 8 different cultivars.
Veggie gardens doing well for the most part. Especially the new low tunnel garden.
Zucchini and winter squash are blooming.
Corn is ~8" tall. Broccoli, cabbage and onions are looking real good.
Potatoes in my 1/2 drums and tubs are flourishing.
Overall I'm happy with the gardens.
We're In a bit of a drought and my well pump went out so that didn't help.
Has to haul water from my parents house in 55 gallon drums to keep the garden from dying.
Wildfires burning making it a bit smokey at times but mostly blowing away from my house. Thank God I'm not in the danger zone of that one.
IMG_20190625_191052.jpg
IMG_20190621_174935.jpg
IMG_20190621_173731.jpg

Up date pic of the 'garden' not sure how this will come out but it is up to 33" tall. The Spearmint and Lillies are playing "who will be the tallest" lol
I have been bringing in the leaves to work for all the girls to put in their water. Even yanked a bunch out for one of the girls since I have so much !
If you look at the 1st pic you can see the small fence , it is almost as tall as it now
IMG_20190629_071449317_HDR[1].jpg

My strawberries are also blooming but I do not have great hopes for the fruits: last year birds ate most of them.
This year I was lucky - it was I that ate most of the strawberries not the birds, thanks God!
The day before yesterday I harvested my garlic. It's now hung in the balcony under the roof and drying. I'm very happy with the harvest.

I'm getting ready for round 4 of my Tower Garden......by getting ready, I mean I'm thinking about what I might want to plant this time around. I'd like to get all my seeds sowed by the end of next week.

IrishLass :)

Harvested my first zucchini of the year tonight.
Harvested five of them two of which I gave to my good friends Manuel & Jane.
Corn is looking good and tasseling already.
Peas are nearly as tall as I am and taller than the trellis.
Onion and cabbage are looking pretty good.
Robbie has huge leaves but I don't think it's bulbling up much.
Radishes need thinning but they're looking good potatoes are doing phenomenal in half drums.broccoli plants are getting really big and it shouldn't be long now.
I was out of town for work for a couple of weeks the weeds are pretty bad but I'm starting to take care of that problem now.
All in all I'm happy with the way things are going in my garden.

I think the Mystery flower I have in m garden is a Wondering Jew?
I planted some free blobs of leaves, dark green/purplish low growing small 1-2 inch leaves a few years ago.
You can kind of see it in the 1st pic above, just to the right of the open bottom Echinacea. It has brighter green leaves but the flower in that pic has not come out yet

I think the Mystery flower I have in m garden is a Wondering Jew?
I planted some free blobs of leaves, dark green/purplish low growing small 1-2 inch leaves a few years ago.
You can kind of see it in the 1st pic above, just to the right of the open bottom Echinacea. It has brighter green leaves but the flower in that pic has not come out yet

does the flower smell like a dirty dish rag--I have only had wandering jew flower once and wow did it stink but beautiful flower

If I am looking at the correct photo, I am wondering if it the Tradescantia fluminensis version listed below.

https://www.greenandvibrant.com/wandering-jew-plant

I've loved and cared for many a wandering Jew plant in my lifetime, but never thought they would survive the harsh outdoor winters of Massachusetts! And I do love when they flower and how easily they take root and how they trail in a hanging pot, and to be surprised to see them grow as if they are in a jungle, which sometimes appear to be.

Ok I forgot pics :( Will put a reminder in the phone.
They are cute little flowers that look like they are folded into the leaf.

no pics too many of them, I am harvesting yellow beans, zuccini, Tomatoes, carrots, all herbs, and my favorite thing ; calendula officinalis flowers

Latest posts

Back