How's this for a shampoo bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalSubstance

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just finished pouring batch #6 into a mold (and I'll have to post pictures later on!) and now onto batch #7 -- a shampoo bar! This is the oil blend that I'm considering making:

10 oz. Olive Oil (light)
4 oz. Coconut Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
5% lye discount
Eucalyptus Essential Oil, added at trace

Is there anything I ought to add as a superfat? My scalp is prone to dandruff and I need to allow my hair to switch shampoos after staying with Head & Shoulders forever.

Thanks,
--Metal Substance

Jojoba and Camellia Oils are both exceptional oils for hair products.
Look for the Camellia Oil at an Asian Market.

Paul

Neem oil is another great addition to a shampoo bar. You can also add some tea tree oil and some peppermint eo to that eucalyptus.

I just completed this batch (my seventh) and I'm letting it initially cure into the mold. THIS time, I'm using a glass pan as the mold and I put plastic wrap on top to keep free air out. I wrapped the pan in a towel, hoping that it would provide more insulation.

One difference from the original recipe is that at trace, I added eucalyptus essential oil, rosemary essential oil, crushed rosemary herb, and one bag of green tea.

One thing I forgot to do is to add Vitamin E as a preservative. I hope this batch doesn't go DOS like my soy batch did... (Then again, hopefully there's antioxidants in the rosemary to help.)

I look forward to using this on my hair!

--Metal Substance

WOW!

I got to testing one of my shampoo bars on my hair, and this batch was INCREDIBLE! The lather was smooth and perfect, and felt really good on my hair. I don't think I ever want to go back to using Head & Shoulders ever again.

Next: I will need to use this shampoo on a long-term basis and find out how well it plays with my dandruff.

I know, I know, "wait 'till it fully cures".... :)

--Metal Substance

Back