Howdy!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShellySkylark

Reaction score
I became interested in making soap after my eczema became harder to manage. I wanted to gain more control over the things I put on and in my body. So I started making soaps with ingredients that are better for my skin. What a difference it makes! Now I want to expand my horizons, so to speak, and make more interesting bars for myself and my loved ones. Glad to be here!

Hello and welcome.
I started making soap for the same reason. It really helped my eczema and
I had no idea how much fun it would be.
You will get lots of help and inspiration here if you need it.

Welcome! I also started making soap almost a decade ago due to skin issues and allergies. Haven't bought any mass-produced soap since. :)

My husband is the one with eczema and psoriasis. He benefits greatly from neem oil in his soap.

Welcome.gif

Welcome! I also started making soap almost a decade ago due to skin issues and allergies. Haven't bought any mass-produced soap since. :)

My husband is the one with eczema and psoriasis. He benefits greatly from neem oil in his soap.
My daughter has psoriasis-type issues as well. Would you mind sharing what percentage of neem you use? (Sorry about the thread hijack!)

My daughter has psoriasis-type issues as well. Would you mind sharing what percentage of neem you use? (Sorry about the thread hijack!)
Sure, I'll give you the entire recipe I use for him:

75% lard
10% coconut oil (or PKO, or a split)
10% neem oil
5% castor oil

1 Tbsp sugar PPO (for more bubbles since this isn't bubbly at all)
1 Tbsp colloidal oats PPO (you can use finely ground regular outs, but they are scrubby)
1 puff of tussah silk per batch (totally optional)

I've also done 5-10% less on lard and used the additional % as neem. Either is good. Lard is very gentle on the skin, too.

This is not a long-lasting soap, but all the things that harden soap (shea, cocoa butter, soy wax, beeswax, OO after a long cure) seem to irritate his skin a bit. Tallow works well, but I don't tend to have it around as much.

Sure, I'll give you the entire recipe I use for him:

75% lard
10% coconut oil (or PKO, or a split)
10% neem oil
5% castor oil

1 Tbsp sugar PPO (for more bubbles since this isn't bubbly at all)
1 Tbsp colloidal oats PPO (you can use finely ground regular outs, but they are scrubby)
1 puff of tussah silk per batch (totally optional)

I've also done 5-10% less on lard and used the additional % as neem. Either is good. Lard is very gentle on the skin, too.

This is not a long-lasting soap, but all the things that harden soap (shea, cocoa butter, soy wax, beeswax, OO after a long cure) seem to irritate his skin a bit. Tallow works well, but I don't tend to have it around as much.
Thanks so much for this!! I appreciate your taking the time to write it all out. I don't use lard or tallow, but my daughter doesn't seem to be sensitive to the oils I do use. I think I'm going to give neem a try!

Sorry, I just noticed that you are in Israel; otherwise, I would have realized that lard for sure was a no-no. Do you avoid tallow also, or is it just not available for you? I'm always curious to what is, and is not, available in other locations.

I don't use lard or tallow, but my daughter doesn't seem to be sensitive to the oils I do use.
Try subbing shea butter for the lard. They have similar properties. I just made a bar with 67% raw shea butter that I needed to use up. I'm loving how my hands feel after washing them at the kitchen sink. The bar is similar to @AliOop's. Sub stinky ol' neem oil for some of the coconut oil/PKO. :D

67% raw or refined shea butter
28% coconut oil (or PKO, or a split)
5% castor oil

The addition of oatmeal, sugar and tussah silk add bubbles (sugar) and soothing qualities to the bar.
You can sub Baby Oatmeal Cereal for the colloidal oatmeal or use Arrowroot Starch/Flour, which is what I used.

HAPPY SOAPING!

Sorry, I just noticed that you are in Israel; otherwise, I would have realized that lard for sure was a no-no. Do you avoid tallow also, or is it just not available for you? I'm always curious to what is, and is not, available in other locations.
I have never come across tallow in Israel, and I've been here for 30 years (originally from Miami, FL). Also, I think people here like the idea of plant-based oils for soap better. I think that since lard is not part of the diet/culture, people have a hard time imagining animal fat in soap.

Back