Howdy Y'all from Oklahoma

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Reaction score
I am new to soap making. As in I have never made it. I ran across a few books at the library and it got me interested. As soon as I can get some supplies up I plan on giving it a good try. I will do my best to soak in as much knowledge that I can. And hopefully be able to contribute something some day. Thanks in advance for letting me join.

Dave

Howdy and welcome! Check out the stickies and the last few pages of the beginner section. Also Soap Making 101 on youtube has great beginner videos. I'm not very fond of her recipes, but the techniques are great.

I also like the SoapQueen.com videos on lye safety.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!

Howdy from your neighbor in MO. Soaping 101 and the Soapqueen Youtubes are great for beginners.

My wife does not think I can do it. And if I can do it she don't think I will stick with it. From what I have seen and read so far I hope I can prove her wrong.

Hi kinggabby and welcome! :wave: My dad's an Okie so I already feel a kinship!

Once your wife starts using your soap and feels her wonderful skin, she'll be begging you to make more. It's a fun and vicious cycle!

I have been lost in the Browsing soap pics section. Man I am totally blown away. I don;t think I would have the heart to use some of those soap because they look so good.

My wife does not think I can do it. And if I can do it she don't think I will stick with it. From what I have seen and read so far I hope I can prove her wrong.

Oh, I think you'll have no problem there. :) Once you experience your first lather from soap you have made, there's no turning back. :mrgreen:

IrishLass :)

Trying to get the funding up to get what I need to get started. So it might be a short bit. How short I don't know .

You don't need much to get started. Plus now that my wife has a plentiful supply of gifts for people she goes out of her way to make sure I can soap!

Plastics with 5 is fine for mixing lye. A lot of plastic pots that food comes in is fine and I often use an old margarine tub for measuring my lye in to and then the water is in an old stock powder pot and I pour the lye in to the water in that. To test if plastics will stand up to then heat, pour boiling water in to them (in the sink!) and see what happens. Even then, I can use old cream pots once if I have them in cold water when I pour the lye in.

For moulds, you can use silicone baking forms which are not expensive. safety goggles and gloves aren't overly costly - in all, to get going to see how you get on doesn't have to cost a lot of money at all. Stick to supermarket oils (you don't actually need butters and so on) - they are more expensive in the long run, but again you don't need to order 20kgs of coconut oil, you only need enough for a few basic batches.

Then a stick blender and a good scale most people have at home anyway, so to get going you'll need less than the cost of a meal out for you both.

Once you know that you actually enjoy making soap, you can look at getting better moulds, buying bulk oils and so on, but no need to go crazy spending from the start if it is a hindrance

You don't need much to get started. Plus now that my wife has a plentiful supply of gifts for people she goes out of her way to make sure I can soap!

Plastics with 5 is fine for mixing lye. A lot of plastic pots that food comes in is fine and I often use an old margarine tub for measuring my lye in to and then the water is in an old stock powder pot and I pour the lye in to the water in that. To test if plastics will stand up to then heat, pour boiling water in to them (in the sink!) and see what happens. Even then, I can use old cream pots once if I have them in cold water when I pour the lye in.

For moulds, you can use silicone baking forms which are not expensive. safety goggles and gloves aren't overly costly - in all, to get going to see how you get on doesn't have to cost a lot of money at all. Stick to supermarket oils (you don't actually need butters and so on) - they are more expensive in the long run, but again you don't need to order 20kgs of coconut oil, you only need enough for a few basic batches.

Then a stick blender and a good scale most people have at home anyway, so to get going you'll need less than the cost of a meal out for you both.

Once you know that you actually enjoy making soap, you can look at getting better moulds, buying bulk oils and so on, but no need to go crazy spending from the start if it is a hindrance
The margarine tubs no problem LoL. But the other have to find or buy. Being on a fixed budget does not make it easy to start. But I do surveys and watch videos to earn extra. I don't earn much but it adds up. First up will be the stick blender, Scales and thermometer.

Latest posts

Back