How Would You Term This Process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious to get other opinions on what you would term the below process of soap making (HP, CPOP, CP, etc.) ;-) I have in my head what I would call it, but wondered if any subtle nuances would make you think otherwise. Thanks!

1. Melt oils in crock pot.
2. Create lye water, wait until temp is below 140 and within 15-20 degrees of oils.
3. Pour lye water into crock pot and mix with stick blender until medium trace.
4. Cover crock pot tightly with plastic - never stirring or touching - and coax/force mixture to completely gel (combinations of turning heat on/off, and even removing crock pot completely to regulate temp and evolution of product).
5. Pour into molds when fully gelled.

Yes, that's still HP. It may be a little more complex that way, but as long as you are bringing the batter through the gel phase before molding it, it's HP.

Sometimes I start my CP by using the crockpot to melt the hard oils, but turn off the heat & continue the normal CP process, not wanting it to gel until after it is molded. That's just one of many ways I might choose to melt the oils, depending on my circumstances.

Cool, thanks everyone. :) I've been using the above technique for my soaps for a while and it seems to fit nicely. Though I'm outgrowing my crock pot and that has me looking to a CP conversion. ;) I'm able to go from "let's make a batch" to "dishes done" in an hour, so it fits nicely in an evening after work and after dinner.

Back