How would you cut this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyP

Reaction score
Hello! Unmolded my 3rd batch of CP soap today. A lavender swirl -- my first attempts at EO and color! I used a shoe box with a plastic liner, so the slab ended up an odd size. I cut it into squares, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm considering taking each of these "not quite squares" of 3.0"L x 2.5"W X 1.5" tall and cutting then diagonally into triangles. My feeling is that the squares are just a bit too bulky. I think the size would be nice and the weight about right. But I've never seen anyone else cut their soap into triangles, so I'm second guessing... Thoughts?

IMG_9332.jpg

Try it on one and see how you like it. My regular bars are 3.5x2.5 and 1.25 thick. So yours aren't off much. That's the best part of making the soap for yourself. You can cut it anyway you like. V

I second relle's suggestion. They would be small but then you get to use them faster:).

Those came out lovely. When you do cut, turn it on its side to avoid dragging the lavender buds through your soap. I'd also do it at the size Relle mentioned. It's your soap though, so cut it however you'd like. :)

I'd cut 1 1/4'' wide, that will give you two from each square.

I ended up going this route, and I'm pretty happy with it. I bit smaller than I wanted, but that's what I get for using a random shoebox as a mold! Next time I'll have to either increase the recipe size so that I end up at the height I prefer, or else cut it down a bit and pour into my loaf mold. Thanks all for your advice!

I'm with Relle too! For me, the whole tactile thing of "soap rolling" is very important. And so I think a triangular bar would be very awkward to use. I could stand at the sink forever, rolling a bar of handmade soap between my palms, warm water running, watching the lather build, and feeling it's creaminess. I think it's important to consider how it's actually used, and not just the appearance. For me, soap is very "touchy feely", and I like it to move well between my palms, probably a reason why I'm not a fan of cupcake and food shaped soaps. I guess it's funny, but I never really stopped to consider the mechanics of how we handle soap before I started making it. Now, it's really important to me. The main reason I started to bevel my soaps is because without being beveled, it takes a few uses to wear away the edges enough so that the soap rolls easily. Oh God, I just realized what a freaking soap geek I am!!! Sorry, I'll stop now. LOL

P.S. With all that geekiness, I forgot to say how pretty your soap is!

Last edited:
funny Navigator...I don't think I've rolled a bar of soap in my life...more a "Take it from the top" kinda guy...and I've got some curing triangles of soap in the soap room...used to be my bedroom....I thought the idea of 3 equal sides would make for a good grip...

I roll my soaps between my hands too, making the most of the oval shape. Square/rectangular bars are okay, they'll get where I want them (rounded) eventually. Triangle bars sounds awkward, in that you squeeze one side to get a good grip and it'll slip out when it's wet. I guess if you're gripping it between the first three fingers (one per side) and you plan on rubbing just one side to lather it may work. Anything is worth trying at least once. Rectangle bars get my vote though.

Latest posts

Back