How would this look be achieved?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this GORGEOUS soap in my instagram feed and I’ve been trying to figure out the technique

I’m thinking maybe pour part of your batter in the mold, pour in a bit of oil mixed with mica, and then pour more batter on top of it?

I wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the soap pics thread
IMG_7824.JPG

I would definitely guess it is mica in oil added as a drop swirl and maybe even a hanger swirl. I do a similar, or at least I have, and it can turn out really nice. As with any drop swirl it is alway a surprise. What I have done is pour 1/2-3/4 of my batter into my mold, run the drop swirl down the middle and hurry to do a hanger swirl to keep the mica from running to the sides of my loaf mold, then pour the remaining batter on top. Mica in oil love to run to the edges and when you unmold the outside edges can get really messy from the mica.

That almost-translucent blue is completely Ethereal... I am So in Love!!!
Thanks for posting! That pic is getting saved to my drive. :nodding:

Its a mica oil drop swirl

The technique you mention would create that effect. I do it often. For more examples, Vanessa from MoonFern Studio on YouTube seems to use this technique a lot.

I would suggest, use less oil then you think you need to begin with. It doesn't take a lot.

Gorgeous! I’ve had some turn out similar by mixing the mica in oil, then dropping in random spots in the batter. Either don’t stir at all or only stir it a tiny amount to spread without disrupting the mica veins. Then pour in your mold!

Latest posts

Back