How to you prevent gel??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried Salty Sailor - is it the one from Daystar? If so, I looked at the description online and they might be similar. SSDW has the ozone salty ocean smell, and then a woodsy undertone - it's not strong and women seem to like it as much as men. The one from daystar sounds like it might be a bit more floral. I'm looking for a replacement for SSDW because it has gotten so expensive (when I first started buying it was 22-something a pound and now it's up to 35-something). I just got one from NG - I can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to walk down to the soap dungeon to look, but I think it might be ocean mist? - that is close in scent (not as woodsy, a little floral) but I haven't soaped it yet. I'll definitely keep your acceleration warning in my head just in case!

I usually use Salty Air from Soapsupplies.net. It reminds perfectly of sitting in the harbor on the boat, but it does accelerate so you have to work quick. I can do a couple of swirls with it. I am not home and not sure where Salty Sailor is from since it was given to me from a former forum member, but I do think it is Daystar. I actually like the scent of Salty Air better

Holy cows! for that price I'd work with a bit of acceleration too! I may have to check out more of their FO's. If you have a list of recommendations from soapsupplies.net will you PM me? Then we can stop hogging the gel thread ;)

Update - soaping at lower temps and less water helped me control gel! I can choose to gel it or not....pop it in the fridge or leave it out and covered with a towel! Perfect both times.

The test will be on my latest batch which has my new recipe and soaping at lower temp as well as new fragrance oil and new to me - kelp. I peeked under the covers and it looks like it’s gelling as I want it to....no splitting and a nice, even gel working towards the edges. Thanks to all!

And just when I think it’s under control - I’m sure something will muck it up! This is fun!!

Back