How to use these natural colorants in HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a citrus soap colored with turmeric last weekend. The color right after mixing was a deep orange color, which faded to a much lighter shade of orange the next day when I removed it from the mold and cut it.
Yesterday it started to show dark orange specks and this morning it has really accelerated. I thought I would post pics to show the transformation.

wow, that transformation is pretty amazing!

image.jpg Kiwi,
It has stayed pretty much the same. It has been very interesting to watch it go from a pumpkin purée color to very pale and then to it’s current color palate. Here is a picture of how it looks as of today.

I have absolutely no input but so intrigued. Keep us posted with pictures!
Pics and a rather long read posted here @Zing!

@KimT2au I've used anywhere between 1tsp-1tbsp ppo (maybe even more) and so far have not noticed coloring on our faces hehe...

But since @Allen mentioned it, I'm thinking my spice powder might not be the kind that imparts too much color to anything. In soap I've never gotten a bright yellow, forget bout orange.. I've only gotten a pale, muted yellow (which is why I tried more than 1tsp) but it still never got to a saturated yellow.

So my dad gave me a rather big bunch of powders and oils from Pakistan and I wanted to test some that I know are natural colorants.

I HP about 99% of the time. Only my soleseifes are CP because I failed those so badly when I tried to HP them lol.

I am wondering, since the soap cooks before adding color (assuming you're using more than one), if they'd all work if I dissolve the powders in oil or water and then add to the batter after cooking? As opposed to adding to lye water, or total oils, if making a solid colored soap.

Also, which ones go in water and which in oil? I've read a couple of sites that give these in a list but I wanted to double check with you pretty, and handsome, people with all your experience.

These are the powders I have:
1. Indigo - surprised me coz the powder is green not blue at all
2. Ratanjot (actual root and powder), which I think is similar to Alkanet?
3. Red sandalwood
4. Madder root (actual root and powder)

These were all bought from the local market there so tracking down suppliers will be almost impossible. Also, none are available where I am so I don't wanna waste these.

And oh, I also have Licorice root powder and not sure yet what benefits it's reputed to impart to soap. Has anyone tried this?

I know most prefer CP and might now have a lot of experience in HP but any and all input will be appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a madder root soap I made a couple of years ago. I love the deep reddish brown that madder root makes. In fact, over time, the color deepened, but also retained the reddish tinge. I used an oil infusion with powdered madder root.

full

I have also used indigo for what I called 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' soap, but in my notes did not write down how I mixed the indigo powder. My bad. I will have to revisit indigo and try the different methods (mix in lye; oil infusion, water infusion) and see what kinds of results I get.

So my dad gave me a rather big bunch of powders and oils from Pakistan and I wanted to test some that I know are natural colorants.
These are the powders I have:
1. Indigo - surprised me coz the powder is green not blue at all
2. Ratanjot (actual root and powder), which I think is similar to Alkanet?
3. Red sandalwood
4. Madder root (actual root and powder)

These were all bought from the local market there so tracking down suppliers will be almost impossible. Also, none are available where I am so I don't wanna waste these.

And oh, I also have Licorice root powder and not sure yet what benefits it's reputed to impart to soap. Has anyone tried this?

Oooh exciting! Ok -- Indigo. Yes, green powder. It goes in water, not sure about oil. It goes in water for a hair paste with henna (it bonds to henna, not hair!). I would not recommend it in soap because the blue can stain. As for the licorice root, that is a medicinal plant that I can't imagine would have any benefit in soap. I'll let someone else reply about 2,. 3., and 4. :)

ETA: SO late to this party!! Just now seeing all the other replies. Just ignore me....

I used a turmeric that was a dietary supplement in capsule form.
It might have a very small amount of other additives too. I am surprised at the transformation and it’s interesting to watch it change.
A spice turmeric may not behave like this.

I used (organic) turmeric spice once. When molded, it looked like mustard (mustard soap = blech!), but mellowed to a dullish or flat yellow tolerable shade the next day. :)

Hi all.

I was actually reading Jo's articles on natural coloring yesterday and am going to make some cold infusions this weekend. I noticed she swears by olive oil pomace for it's color and shelf life. My favorite Jo quote:

"You will never get Robin’s egg blue if you use oils that are green or yellow in color, no matter how hard you try, or pray, or how many tantrums you throw, it just won’t happen."

I'm wondering what types of oil everyone uses for their infusions? Are there other "clear" oil options?

Thanks for any input.

-Kurt

Indigo is often used in soap and it hasn't stained anything here. I would suppose that if you use too much it might.

The lye solution method is supposed to produce a very nice uniform color with indigo, but I haven't tried it that way yet myself.

Hi all.

I was actually reading Jo's articles on natural coloring yesterday and am going to make some cold infusions this weekend. I noticed she swears by olive oil pomace for it's color and shelf life. My favorite Jo quote:

"You will never get Robin’s egg blue if you use oils that are green or yellow in color, no matter how hard you try, or pray, or how many tantrums you throw, it just won’t happen."

I'm wondering what types of oil everyone uses for their infusions? Are there other "clear" oil options?

Thanks for any input.

-Kurt

I actually get a minty blue with indigo and have a heavy amount of greenish olive oil in my soap. It’s not an infusion though, I just mix the powder right in.
IMG_6038.JPG

I infuse alkanet in olive oil and get an inky purple and annatto I do a warm infusion and get a vibrant orange.

IMG_6041.JPG

View attachment 36058View attachment 36059View attachment 36060

I would imagine maybe FCO or maybe a lighter yellow like SAO? Ooh, I never thought about maybe using castor to infuse because I don’t use a ton in my soap!

Attachments

• IMG_6039.JPG
    IMG_6039.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 6
I have had the best success with madder root by adding it to plain, full fat yogurt, and then adding after the cook.

Hi all.

Thanks for any input.

-Kurt
I've infused in "pure" olive oil, the kind that's golden and not green at all. I will be able to try pomace because that's what I recently bought, waaaaay cheaper than the pure one, but I checked the bottles for the lightest shade of green possible. We shall see.
I also have infusions sitting in rice bran oil, another golden oil, and sweet almond oil, which is "whiter" than the other two. I've heard of some infusing in sunflower oil, if you have the high oleic one, and that's also a "whiter" oil. Regular coconut oil here is always liquid unless I put the container in the fridge or an air conditioned room, so I'm thinking that should work too.
I actually get a minty blue with indigo and have a heavy amount of greenish olive oil in my soap. It’s not an infusion though, I just mix the powder right in.
View attachment 36054

I infuse alkanet in olive oil and get an inky purple and annatto I do a warm infusion and get a vibrant orange.

View attachment 36055
View attachment 36058View attachment 36059View attachment 36060

I would imagine maybe FCO or maybe a lighter yellow like SAO? Ooh, I never thought about maybe using castor to infuse because I don’t use a ton in my soap!
Lovely soaps! I unfortunately only see two?
I have had the best success with madder root by adding it to plain, full fat yogurt, and then adding after the cook.
I will try that, thank you! It's the first time I've read about this, I'm excited.

I have a "Simple and Natural Soapmaking by J. Berry and there is a nice table of pictures of soaps colored with natural dyes at the end of the book. The colors range by the amount added per pound of oils as well as the media (whether they are added to lye, oils, or added at trace). With your HP experience I would just add them at the end to avoid discoloration. It seems 2 tsp madder root PPO is producing nice red/pinkish color, while 1 tsp madder root stirred with water and added at trace is making red/purplish color. 1.5 tsp indigo PPO added to lye solution produces deep blue color, 0.5 tsp PPO added to lye looks like sky blue. 1 tsp indigo mixed with oils and added at trace is making blue/purplish color. I think you'll have to try with your ingredients and make some test batches to see how they will come out :D

Thanks @geniash! I've since made a list of the suggestions given here and I'll add yours.

But you're right, I'll probably have to try and see what works best.

Back