how to use sodium lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
hi
if i have to use sodium lactate as suggested by one friend for my previous query do i have to mix the same in water and then add lye to the water+sodium lactate solution.Also do we have to add one teaspoon of sodium lactate per 450 gm of total oils i use in my recipe or is there any correction.As iam from india i wish someone can help me with the gram concept.Also what is the recomended amount of fragrance oils to be used.Is it 3 percent of the total oils i use.correct me if iam wrong
Thanks in advance

do i have to mix the same in water and then add lye to the water+sodium lactate solution.
Is your sodium lactate a solid salt, or a syrupy solution?

If it is solid, you can dissolve 3 parts of sodium lactate in 2 parts (by weight) of water. You get the same 60% solution, and can make large quantities in advance.

Then just use it like everyone else: add to your lye solution.
You can dose it now by the teaspoon. If you do not have a US-style measuring teaspoon (=5 mL), measure 5 mL. Or 7 g if you prefer weighing.

Don't overthink it. Precision of the lactate is not overly important (unlike oils or lye). If you add much less or much more of the recommended amount, worst that can happen is that you either don't profit from its properties, or you get a brittle, chalky soap bar that is still safe to use though.

When I use the liquid 60% sodium lactate solution, I use it 2% of oils, rather than teaspoons.

That way, the soap calculator gives me the weight of SL for my specific batch size, and I can measure it right into my oils or my liquid (no extra measuring spoon needed). And as Owl noted, it isn’t a big deal if I’m off by a few grams, bc I’m well within good usages rates.

Regarding fragrance, I am typically using 5-8%, but that depends on the safe usage rate of the FO or EO. My understanding is that the EU sets a maximum rate of 3%, which is why the calculators mostly default to that.

I use liquid sodium lactate at a rate of 3% of total oil weight (I think I'm on the high end for sodium lactate). I weigh my sodium lactate in grams. I add it to my lye liquid. Then I pour my lye liquid into my oils.
What is your question on grams?

When I use the liquid 60% sodium lactate solution, I use it 2% of oils, rather than teaspoons.

That way, the soap calculator gives me the weight of SL for my specific batch size, and I can measure it right into my oils or my liquid (no extra measuring spoon needed). And as Owl noted, it isn’t a big deal if I’m off by a few grams, bc I’m well within good usages rates.

Regarding fragrance, I am typically using 5-8%, but that depends on the safe usage rate of the FO or EO. My understanding is that the EU sets a maximum rate of 3%, which is why the calculators mostly default to that.
By 60 % liquid sodium lactate do you mean if i buy in solid form i dissolve 60% sodium lactate in 40 percent distilled water.and use 2% of the solution for the total oil amount.
for example i should mix 60 gms of sodium lactate in 40 gms of distilled water and use 2percent of such a solution to the total oils.sorry if iam asking in a very rudimentary way.please excuse me.and this solution i should add to the lye solution or to the oils.sorry for this many questions.Also this water amount i should not consider in calculating the amount of water need for my recipe is it.

I use liquid sodium lactate at a rate of 3% of total oil weight (I think I'm on the high end for sodium lactate). I weigh my sodium lactate in grams. I add it to my lye liquid. Then I pour my lye liquid into my oils.
What is your question on grams?
many thanks for your reply .
Do you mean even if i buy sodium lactate in solid form i can add to the lye solution.because some say that we need to use sodium lactate in liquid form.sorry if iam bothering you with basic questions.kidly ignore if iam bothering you
Thanks in advance

By 60 % liquid sodium lactate do you mean if i buy in solid form i dissolve 60% sodium lactate in 40 percent distilled water.and use 2% of the solution for the total oil amount.
Correct!
You can make the sodium lactate in advance. You can also dissolve the according quantity (2% of 60% solution = 1.2% solid sodium lactate) in the water, before adding the NaOH.

many thanks for your reply .
Do you mean even if i buy sodium lactate in solid form i can add to the lye solution.because some say that we need to use sodium lactate in liquid form.sorry if iam bothering you with basic questions.kidly ignore if iam bothering you
Thanks in advance
I am sorry but I have no experience with solid sodium lactate -- I actually did not know that it existed.

Please stop apologizing for "bothering." :) What I love about this forum is asking questions and getting answers and advice. Good luck!

for example i should mix 60 gms of sodium lactate in 40 gms of distilled water and use 2percent of such a solution to the total oils.sorry if iam asking in a very rudimentary way.please excuse me.and this solution i should add to the lye solution or to the oils.sorry for this many questions.Also this water amount i should not consider in calculating the amount of water need for my recipe is it.
That is exactly correct - good job! You can add this to the oils or the lye solution - either way will work, as long as it is thoroughly mixed. And no, you don't need to worry about the extra water amount, since it is so small. :)

MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage) has a calculator (choose grams) with a space to enter sodium lactate and an option to include soap making instructions in the printout.

All fragrances & essential oils have different use rates. Use MMS Fragrance Calculator to learn how much fragrance you need for the product you are making. Unfortunately, their inventory of FOs and EOs is somewhat limited so I just go down the list until I find one similar to what I have.

Scroll down to find links to the above. ;) :thumbs:

MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage) has a calculator (choose grams) with a space to enter sodium lactate and an option to include soap making instructions in the printout.

All fragrances & essential oils have different use rates. Use MMS Fragrance Calculator to learn how much fragrance you need for the product you are making. Unfortunately, their inventory of FOs and EOs is somewhat limited so I just go down the list until I find one similar to what I have.

Scroll down to find links to the above. ;) :thumbs:
thank you

That is exactly correct - good job! You can add this to the oils or the lye solution - either way will work, as long as it is thoroughly mixed. And no, you don't need to worry about the extra water amount, since it is so small. :)
thank you

I am sorry but I have no experience with solid sodium lactate -- I actually did not know that it existed.

Please stop apologizing for "bothering." :) What I love about this forum is asking questions and getting answers and advice. Good luck!
thank you very much

I am starting by making single oil soaps to get a feel for what the differences are. Can they be mixed after saponification? Make mixed oil soaps this way?

I am starting by making single oil soaps to get a feel for what the differences are. Can they be mixed after saponification? Make mixed oil soaps this way?
Welcome to the forum! I'd like to suggest that you start a brand new thread with your question. You will get a lot more responses since this particular thread is about a separate subject. Good luck to you!

Back