How to use mica color in cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulsoaper

Reaction score
So i tired making a batch of soap using the recommended level of colorant that is 1 teaspoon(5.69grams) per pound of soap.
However the soap color seems dull and has whiteish spots/look on top of it.
Please help how to fix it

Ok, couple of things - what brand of mica colourant was it? Not all mica is safe for cosmetic use, and not so of the cosmetic safe micas are ok to use in soap. Even some of the types that say they're suitable for soap, might not react as expected in cold process, especially if it's not from a reputable soap supplier.

Did you insulate, heat or oven process the soap at all? Soap that goes through gel is generally more vibrant than soap which doesn't.

The white spots on top sound like they might be soda ash, but without seeing them, it's hard to be sure.

I have to disagree about gelling, I don't gel and my soap turns out vibrant in colour, I couldn't get it any brighter if I wanted it. I do find micas for colour come out a lot paler and tend to use a liquid soap colour or oxides, so you might want to try those.

I have to disagree about gelling, I don't gel and my soap turns out vibrant in colour, I couldn't get it any brighter if I wanted it. I do find micas for colour come out a lot paler and tend to use a liquid soap colour or oxides, so you might want to try those.
@Relle what brand of liquid soap color (colour) do you use for CP soap?

@Relle what brand of liquid soap color (colour) do you use for CP soap?
It's one that is from the soap supplier here in Oz, their product, made here.

1654221831857.png

It can depend on the colour of your batter, and the colour of the mica too. I find yellow and green mica are never very strong - purple and blues can look grey, etc. Gelling definitely improves the depth of colour.
I agree it sounds like soda ash on top.
Yes. How do you get around that without first adding TD, which will turn your color into a pastel? (Which is lovely but sometimes I want to go full psychedlic.) Use pale oils? The best I can manage, uncolored & "naked," is a kind of cream color.

It's one that is from the soap supplier here in Oz, their product, made here.

View attachment 67088
Can you supply a link to their website? I'm just curious about it & can work from there to try a US based supplier. Thanks!

I must admit I've been a lot happier since I switched to neon pigments.
Yes, neons certainly are vibrant!
Yes. How do you get around that without first adding TD, which will turn your color into a pastel? (Which is lovely but sometimes I want to go full psychedlic.) Use pale oils? The best I can manage, uncolored & "naked," is a kind of cream color.
Like, KiwiMoose, in my experience neons are really vibrant. I do not add TD to lighten soap batter. Have you tried neons? There are some photos in the photo gallery of soaps colored with neons & I think you can see the vibrancy in those photos. I'll link some for you in an edit.

ETA: Here are some links to images of soaps made by SMF members using neons:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...llenge-tiger-stripes.74903/page-6#post-770679
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/neon-pigments-how-much-to-use.87623/#post-936755

A couple of mine:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/infinity-swirl-2-bars-from-the-batch.3209/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/neon-colors-in-sunlight-collage-with-comments.2346/

Last edited:
For 'full psychedelic' I recommend Neon Pigments.

There is also no rule that says that you can ONLY use 1 tea PPO. You might have to go with a deeper shade.

Back