How to thicken liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been very happy with the HEC so far. I may try xanthan gum again at some point since it seems so similar to the HEC. I could try it again with the method that worked for the HEC and see if that transfers.

Salt will not thicken 100% coconut oil or mostly coconut oil soap. HEC will. I find HPMC works best on dual lye soaps. Crothix is most likely what you are referring too. Have never used it and have heard mixed results regarding its use for thickening these types of liquid soaps.

Hi FGOriold! Thanks for this input. I can find HEC on my usual suppliers' websites, but am having a hard time finding HPMC. I've checked www.saveoncitric.com, www.lotioncrafter.com, www.bulkapothecary.com, as well as Brambleberry and some of the other regular soap making sites. Can you please tell me where I can purchase HPMC online? Thanks in advance!!

Faith, didn't you post on FaceBook about a trial you did recently using sodium citrate to thicken your LS? Intriguing!

Yes DeeAnna - I was able to easily thicken 2 soaps (One was 100% olive oil the other was 50% olive oil, 30% coconut oil and the rest other soft oils) with very small amounts of a 20% sodium citrate solution. The 100% coconut oil soap did not thicken at all. There was also no change in pH like with citric acid. The reason I chose to experiment with this was for potential chelating properties in addition to the thickening.

Olivem 300 also thickens these soaps but it is an emulsifier and they can sometimes cause me problems if the soap is superfatted or has FO/EO's added to them.

Yes DeeAnna - I was able to easily thicken 2 soaps (One was 100% olive oil the other was 50% olive oil, 30% coconut oil and the rest other soft oils) with very small amounts of a 20% sodium citrate solution. The 100% coconut oil soap did not thicken at all. There was also no change in pH like with citric acid. The reason I chose to experiment with this was for potential chelating properties in addition to the thickening.

Olivem 300 also thickens these soaps but it is an emulsifier and they can sometimes cause me problems if the soap is superfatted or has FO/EO's added to them.

Small amounts of Potassium citrate, be it liquid or powder form, can also be used to thicken fairly nicely.

I'm posting this on a little outdated thread. However it seems to be relevant to the context.

I've been looking to replace my LS thickener from Salt to something more stable and does not reduce the lather. read about HEC and HPMC in this thread and few other places. I wanted to know the GRAS grade of these ingredients and any other concerns relating to use of these as thickeners. While doing some web search I cam across the below report, from the journal of American Collage of Toxicology titled Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Hydroxyethyl cellulose, Hydroxypropyl cellulose, Methyl cellulose, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, and Cellulose Gum

I'm still into reading few pages only. However it seems to be very relevant to us and gives some insights to possible degradation that can happen and certain combinations which can give greater viscosity than single use etc. I know not every soaper like to go through the scientific journals. However these can help us formulating better products. Hope the community benefit from this.

I made sodium citrate solution using citric acid and baking soda. I added approx 3ml to 600ml of diluted LS soap (which has approx palm 55%, coconut 20%, olive 5% & sunflower 20% oils). This soap is actually a hybrid soap with 20% NaOH & 80% KOH. I wanted to figure out a different thickener instead of table salt as my soap tend to gel with little drop in room temperature. However 3ml solution did not improve the viscosity. Do I have to add more citrate?, Does citrate solution also have same effect as Table Salt in the lather?

I'm posting this on a little outdated thread. However it seems to be relevant to the context.

I've been looking to replace my LS thickener from Salt to something more stable and does not reduce the lather. read about HEC and HPMC in this thread and few other places. I wanted to know the GRAS grade of these ingredients and any other concerns relating to use of these as thickeners. While doing some web search I cam across the below report, from the journal of American Collage of Toxicology titled Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Hydroxyethyl cellulose, Hydroxypropyl cellulose, Methyl cellulose, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, and Cellulose Gum

I'm still into reading few pages only. However it seems to be very relevant to us and gives some insights to possible degradation that can happen and certain combinations which can give greater viscosity than single use etc. I know not every soaper like to go through the scientific journals. However these can help us formulating better products. Hope the community benefit from this.

Thanks for the link Lankan ... On page 3 of this 1986 edition of the Journal of the American College of Toxicology (according to the title), it mentions that the use of these cellulose thickeners also requires a preservative for long-term storage success. This is not a criticism, but it is worth noting that cellulose is food for bacteria, whereas salt is not :).

Thanks for the link Lankan ... On page 3 of this 1986 edition of the Journal of the American College of Toxicology (according to the title), it mentions that the use of these cellulose thickeners also requires a preservative for long-term storage success. This is not a criticism, but it is worth noting that cellulose is food for bacteria, whereas salt is not :).

Yes. I also noted it, is't it specific to HEC. No such issues mentioned under HPMC or other types of thickeners discussed.

like I said earlier, I'm looking into these thickeners as I find salt less consistent with performance and sometimes given undesirable results. Also it's said to reduce lather.

My quest is to formulate a liquid soap without or with minimum use of synthetic or controversial chemicals.

Last edited:
Starum, attempting to make liquid soap from solid soap pieces is not making liquid soap. It's making snot.
Liquid soap is made with KOH. Different animal all together. Soap made from NaOH will always eventually return to a solid state.

When I make liquid soap with KOH I use plain table salt. The salt will cause the surfactants in the water:surfactant mix to swell, effectively thickening the solution.
Please, I will like you to share a full step by step method on how to achieve thickened soap with your formula

Thank you for your information. I am making a 100% olive LS today so will try this thickener

I have experienced this as well! Xanthan gum is 'good' but I got goopy, clotted liquid that was not good visually.

Regarding salt, I tried once before but it can only thicken so much that it doesn't work on massive batches, and a little bit too much salt will irreversibly transform your 'thick' liquid back to thin.

If you don't want to use anything sulfate/silicon-based, I heard a brand name of TEGO Remo 95 MB that could thicken a liquid soap like magic. I have yet to try it but will do soon, so wish me luck for that one. I'll post another one to update you on this.

Earlene is right -- table salt is not the same chemical as borax.

If you study chemistry, you will learn there are many different kinds of salts. The salt we use on food is only one kind of salt -- table salt, also called sodium chloride. Other salts that soap makers often use include borax (sodium borate), sodium lactate, sodium citrate, sodium acetate, washing soda (sodium carbonate), etc. Even soap itself is a salt.

Back