How to thicken liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found these forums while searching for thickening liquid soap. Sounds like you all are a different breed than me!

I use soap nuts as my cleanser and add tea-tree oil for it's disinfectant and aromatic properties. I've been contemplating trying to add some other beneficial oils like olive, grape seed or jojoba. Regardless, the soap is wonderful, but it needs to be thickened.

I tried corn starch (mixed it thoroughly in cold water and added to boiling soap nuts water). While it worked for a bit, the starch eventually settled at the bottom. Not sure if that means I used too much, temp wasn't right...dunno. We don't have table salt (only kosher)...not sure if I'll try that. But, I'm considering glycerin or guar gum...guess we'll see!

Salt only works on cooled soap. And even then, not every recipe reacts to it to thicken. Your best bet to thicken soap, without additives, is to cook off the extra water on a low simmer to avoid boil over.

So...I know the discoveries of walkinwounded were a long time ago, but I was looking for answers for thickening and ended up here. I tried the xanthate gum in glycerin, but it turned to clumps that wouldn't dissolve at all. I see mention in he same post of adding salt while the soap is hot, but the very last post in this thread says to add salt only when soap is cooled. Is there a majority experience on the salt front? Does the 1/2tsp salt per pound of paste seem like the right ratio if no xanthan gum or other additives are used?

Salt will only work to thicken liquid soaps that are very high in olive oil content - it will not thicken all soaps. The correct amount is all about trial and error as it depends on the thickness your soap is to start with and how thick you want it. The thickening happens over the course of an hour or so each time you add more salt solution - so you slowly add small amounts and wait until you achieve the thickness you are looking for.

You can also use a 2 lye method (both sodium and potassium hydroxides) with a high olive oil content to get a thicker liquid soap to start with. Otherwise, my favorite 2 thickeners are HEC (Hydroxyetheyl Cellulose ) and HPMC (Hydroxypropyl Methycellulose).

The base of my paste is mostly coconut oil. No olive oil at all. Would the thickeners you mention work on it, do you think? Do you use both together, or only or the other? What ratio(s) would be good starting points.

I saw a YouTube video where a girl talks about something that sounds like 'crofix' (she never spelled it). It's a derivative of steric acid. Any idea what that was? A search for crofix didn't get me anywhere. Any idea what that was?

For the moment I would like to see if I can thicken the paste I've made before starting over with a new recipe, although I'll certainly keep your recommendation in mind.

Salt will not thicken 100% coconut oil or mostly coconut oil soap. HEC will. I find HPMC works best on dual lye soaps. Crothix is most likely what you are referring too. Have never used it and have heard mixed results regarding its use for thickening these types of liquid soaps.

Last edited:
Thanks, Faith. I'll order some and see how it goes. Did you have a recommended ratio I could use as a starting point? Do you add it to warm or cold soap? Do you make a solution first or add directly to the soap?

You can also use a 2 lye method (both sodium and potassium hydroxides) with a high olive oil content to get a thicker liquid soap to start with. Otherwise, my favorite 2 thickeners are HEC (Hydroxyetheyl Cellulose ) and HPMC (Hydroxypropyl Methycellulose).

I don't get it... we are against borax which is from boron a salt mine technically but will use: (Hydroxyetheyl Cellulose ) and HPMC (Hydroxypropyl Methycellulose)???? What am I missing here?

I don't get it... we are against borax which is from boron a salt mine technically but will use: (Hydroxyetheyl Cellulose ) and HPMC (Hydroxypropyl Methycellulose)???? What am I missing here?

Faith likes to use cellulose based products in her soap. But there are many, non synthetic ways to thicken when salt and borax don't work. For instance baking soda will work, but you don't need much. I personally haven't tried it but I know someone who has. Potassium citrate is another. You can make it yourself by combining KOH with Citric Acid, and testing for neutrality of the solution, or purchase the powder online. I've tried both ways, and I got the powder on Amazon. However, you will need to dissolve it in heated soap, then wait for cool down, or do a drizzle test, covered, on a cold glass to get a flash snap shot. I'm personally not against borax. It's closer to natural and no different than us using lye flakes and such. And the hype surrounding it is ridiculous.
You can also always try cooking off excess water. That's always a go to as it costs nothing but your time and attention.

facts?
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S027869150700261X
http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/hydroxyethylcellulose

vs

http://www.regulations.gov/contentS...1217bf&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf

I'm personally not against borax. It's closer to natural and no different than us using lye flakes and such. And the hype surrounding it is ridiculous.

except it's somewhat toxic and may have chronic effects? Natural doesn't automatically mean healthy, or safe. Inert cellulose products are not something of concern. What am *I* missing?

The very air we breathe is toxic. It's called air pollution. The sun is toxic and folks can actually suffer from sun poisoning. All things we purposely use, can be toxic to us in large, or inhibited quantities. The amount of borax used in soap for neutralizing or thickening is very small. Paired with the fact that soap is a wash off product, you're very unlikely to suffer I'll effects from using borax in your soap. But, as I listed, there are other ways of thickening.

Ladies, please keep from attacking each other while we discuss ideas.

When I am thickening liquid soap I love a product called Crothix, it can be used in either hot or cold products.

Not sure how this went from talking about thickening liquid soap to "being against borax" - but oh well. Considering borax is a banned ingredient in the EU, I do not use it as my products are sold all over the over the world. We all can choose our thickeners of choice based on what works for us. You may or may not like my choice Marsha, but it is my choice and I share my methods of using those thickeners with anyone who is interested.

Regarding cooking down the soap to thickien, that's what I was trying before I started this thread. I did that countless times before I finally gave up. There appears to be no happy place where it is not running and not starting to solidify. I had used the instructions from the Everything Soapmaking Book for my liquid soap and it made no mention of the need for thickening. So much for "everything" Soapmaking.

I had no idea anyone was against borax. I use it in my clothing detergent, per a thread on this forum where that seemed to be pretty standard. I've experienced no skin irritation, nor has my my family, since using it. And the liquid soap with HEC worked well with no irritation to any user. Of course, everything is poisonous/toxic given a high enough dose. Dose is everything.

Latest posts

Back