How to test out a new soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunset2burst

Reaction score
Whats the proper term for the period of time you let a soap solidify after pouring it? You know the first 24-48 hours. Incubation period? lol

After I let mind cure for a month I will probably be kinda scared to try it out. What is the best method of trying out a soap? I don't want to burn my face off. :oops:

The best way to see if your soap is okay to use is to lick it. If you don't get a small "electric shock" type feeling, you can try it. I don't wait four to six weeks to try my soaps (hardly anyone here does). I tend to wash my hands with mooshed up remnants every week or two to see how the soap is progressing. Unless there's a reason to think you've totally messed up your recipe, there's no reason to be so terrified. I would suggest to wash your hands with it first, see how it feels.

How come you're so scared to try your soaps?

Your not "punk"ing me with the lick the soap tip right? Are you forreal? :p If it does tingle/shock you does that mean there is excess lye? What is the lick test testing for??? lol

No, my little sunset, I'm fo sho not punking you. Your tongue is the only part of your body sensitive enough to detect excess lye. Promise and swear to whatever deity is yours.

see for yourself: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34452

So licking a soap to test if there is excess lye is relatively safe and will not harm you and your body in the long run? No one has every died for licking too many bars of soap?

sunset2burst said:
So licking a soap to test if there is excess lye is relatively safe and will not harm you and your body in the long run? No one has every died for licking too many bars of soap?

Please let us know if you die -- that would be an interesting result that we'd then take under advisement.

You don't have to take a big lick, just stick the end of your tongue on the soap. I have licked a lot of soap in my time and so far no drastic results. :mrgreen:

sunset2burst said:

I brush my teeth with soap and have for about a year. I'm still here :)

I brush my teeth with soap too. So much for washing out one's mouth with it!

I'll warn you though, some fragrance oils can taste kind of nasty. Soap tastes a bit salty and, well, soapy. Licking it can get weirdly addictive.

As the acclaimed best selling author of "The Zap Test: A Visual Guide", I will attest that licking your soap is "de riguer" for the handmade soap artisan. As evidenced in the photos accompanying the aforementioned guide, that IS actual soap that I am licking, and not a "fudge" prop, and I am typing this post without difficulties, therefore proving the zap test non-lethal..

Alchemy&Ashes said:
As the acclaimed best selling author of "The Zap Test: A Visual Guide", I will attest that licking your soap is "de riguer" for the handmade soap artisan. As evidenced in the photos accompanying the aforementioned guide, that IS actual soap that I am licking, and not a "fudge" prop, and I am typing this post without difficulties, therefore proving the zap test non-lethal..

Wait....so you're not talking to us from the grave?

Genny said:
Wait....so you're not talking to us from the grave?
I'm here among the living...as far as I know. Did you see The Sixth Sense? One can never be too sure. But I'm sure if I'm beyond the veil, my epitaph will not read "Death by Zap Test".

Alchemy&Ashes said:
One can never be too sure. But I'm sure if I'm beyond the veil, my epitaph will not read "Death by Zap Test".

:lol: :lolno: That would be a great epitaph. Mine would be
Genny.
She licked the soap, what a dope.
Now here she lyes.

I lick mine after 1 day 1 week and 1 month. I should also I only hot process for now so I lick it as soon as its cool enough not to burn my tongue. Go ahead give it a try.

Back