How to stop soap cracking with thick stamps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
So when I've used a stamp in the past, when there's thinner lines it works out fine, but if there's any part of the stamp that is bold or impresses in on a larger area, that can cause some issues. Especially with cracking the soap, or distorting the design.

Does anyone know how to get really nice clean lines and a good imprint when you're using a stamp that has a large area pressing in? (pic for example)

download.jpg

Is there some combination of days after cutting the bars that is advised? I've heard the plastic-wrap tip, how necessary is it?

Thank you all <3

...Is there some combination of days after cutting the bars that is advised? I've heard the plastic-wrap tip, how necessary is it?...

The timing will depend on the type of soap with and the stamp you're using -- harder soap and/or larger stamps will require the soap to be stamped sooner rather than later. Cut the bars and try stamping them at 12 hours after cutting, 1 day after cutting, 2 days, etc. Or do these test stamps using whatever time interval seems best to you. You'll want to repeat this test if you significantly change the recipe.

Ditto for whether to use plastic wrap on the stamp. I find it helpful when I use stamps, but you'll have to try it and see for yourself.

If you want to use a stamp that makes a large imprint like the example, you're going to be asking a lot of the soap and I don't know how you are going to entirely eliminate the chance the soap will crack. It's better, as you noted, to stick to stamps that aren't deep, large imprints. You'll have to decide if the "look" you want is worth the possibility of a higher reject rate.

Back